PDA

View Full Version : Real newbie

scarr03
February 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I want to setup remote access to a PC upstairs via web browser and IR, I have downloaded girder and netremote but it is really unclear (to me that is) what wants to be running and on want PC.

I have tried running Girder on the upstairs PC (with "Internet event server" plugin ticked) and then ran Netremote on my downstairs Pc, typed in my upstaits PC's name and could not get it to work.

I'ts probably just me being stupid but can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

I'm looking for a simple explanation like this

On upstairs PC launch XXX, change settings YYY
On downstairs PC launch XXX, now change settings YYY
You should now be able to control upstairs PC

Thx

P.S. I know the "host name" is correct becuase I can connect to the upstairs PC via its name in RealVNC or by the hidden share like this \\upstairspc\c$

Rob H
February 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
The passwords need to match too. By default the password for the Girder Internet Event Server plugin is 'NewDefPwd', but the default password for the NetRemote Girder plugin is 'girder'.

Make sure that both passwords match and that they are both using the same port.

In Girder - File|Settings, find the Internet Event Server plugin and press the settings button. Change the password to e.g. girder and make sure that the port is set to 1024. You may also want to check the 'Allow all' checkbox.

In NetRemote - File|Properties find the Girder plugin instance and press the properties button - use the same password and port number and you should be good to go.

If you are running a software firewall then you may have to open port 1024 for Girder

scarr03
February 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I did have the password set (just forgot to mention it) Having now looked at it a bit closer it appears to get a connection as I can see NRCLIENT.REGISTER in Girder on PC upstairs when I run Netremote on PC downstairs.

But I still get a msg "A connection to the current host cannot be made" when I select Girder from the Netremote main menu.

I have loaded the question GML file so girder has some actions defined.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be seeing when I select girder from Netremote, but what does appear looks like a media player of some sort, can anyone describe how I add / configre a button to Netremote to open notepad on the upstairs PC as an example?

Sorry for being a idiot :o(
P.S. Selecting the mouse mode (Girder) does appear to have some affect, in that I can see the little green staus light change when I click buttons downstairs.

scarr03
February 16th, 2005, 05:19 PM
OK, I have netremote talking to Girder and even launching notepad. Now is there a nice looking CCF + GML that controls basic windows program like media player, IE, PC. just so I can load then all up without having to buy anything and start using netremote to do something usefull.

I can imagine its quite painfull to create a CCF even using tonto from scratch.

Thx