PDA

View Full Version : Using VolumeOSD for Reciever Volume

switzch
March 9th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I dont usually change the volume on my HTPCr - everything is set to Max. Volume (or a prefered setting) and I use my remote to control the reciever's volume.

Is there a way to have an OSD of the recievers volume? I dont manually change the volume on the reciever, its always done via remote, and I use girder to turn on/off everthing, so I could reset the volume everytime the system is turned back on.

Is anyone doing this? Please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Marsupial
March 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I understand you have a receiver that externally amplifies the audio level of your HTPC, right?

is there a way to interface the receiver volume to the computer?

switzch
March 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
No that would be too easy :D - I figure there are two ways to do this.

1.Use the usbuirt to input the IR Codes (vol UP/DOWN/MUTE - have to change these so they are different that the reciever obviously ) then send the UP/DOWN signals to the reciever. 2 step process that I would like to avoid unless this is the best way.

2. Intercept the UP/DOWN IR codes going to the reciever with the USBUIRT (on top of the reciever already) and somehow display this info with an OSD.

Promixis
March 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I tried something along these lines but was not happy. Syncing by sending mult. down by the uirt is too slow. You can try and track changes but if someone turns the volume knob you are done. The best is to get a receiver with a serial port

switzch
March 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
whats a good reciever with a serial port?

Rob H
March 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Denon AVR2805 or 3805

Mark F
March 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Lexicon RV-8 :)