PDA

View Full Version : I use it. I know You use it. But what for?

Ingo
October 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM
I use it to controll
- showshifter
- mediajukebox
- tv-out and resolution of my matrox
- volume (using a regular keyboard and a hotkey (print) to emulate a multimedia keyboard with F1-12, ..)
- some other tv/media soft
- mouse (using a RF remote)

all this using multiple RF controllers from different rooms and my keyboard.

jediperry
As well as the normal stuff, I use it to tell the server downstairs to connect & disconnect from the net on request and at a preset time in the morning when my housemates want to use the phone. The server also has a uirt plugged in that control's the home cinema stuff that the universal remote can't do by itself.

Mike

Antti
Hi!

Been using Girder for a while now and it works fine. Now I just wonder what else can I make my computer do with remote. That's why I decided to ask how do YOU use Girder? What devices? Applications? Anything. Everything. I just want to have new ideas. :D

Most common is maybe to use Girder to control Winamp, DVD-player or mouse. What else?

pck
:roll: I'm putting a PC in my car for GPS, Video, MP3, Radio, Camera... I use Girder with a UIR as THE input interface. My main purpose is to allow anyone to use it.

Marsupial
Since I got the remote mainly to use a computer as some kind of VCR displaying MPEGs on a big monitor and playing MP3s, most usage is quite easy.

tricky part is I added remote direct access to hard drives (and CDs) and managed some "AUTOPLAY menu" mouse control to click and start MPEGs and programs from the couch.

Mainly Girder is for that.

cconroy
I just strated using girder, so I'm kind of new at it. I just set it up to monitor a photo sensor on my electrical power meter thru the joy stick port. From there I send a signal to a stopwatch which writes the data to a file that I can then dump to a spredsheet to monitor power usage over any period of time. It took a little while for me to figure it out, but it works great!
Chuck Conroy