PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on behaviour

pjsquared
November 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM
1) When NRD starts up, the windows version of NR appears before NRD. NR displays a CCF from some previous session but it is not clear which one. This seems to be the reverse of what one would expect in a parent/child relation. One expects in a window app to either be presented with a list of last used files in the File menu from which to select or to be asked to create a New file. Once this choice has been made, then the app loads and displays the result of the user's choice. It is not clear how the registry gets the file to be started up. This Makes versioning impossible as it may appear the current version is being displayed when it is in fact not the caase. The last saved file is usually appears first when the app is next started. With the tabbed CCFs, this is much trickier, In which case, the user could be asked to choose the one to be opened next time. The others were likely used to get basic info for cut and paste ops. Or the user is advised to leave the master on top when exiting. When a new ccf is started, the resolution and version dialogs are activated. After a choice is made, there appears to be no way to correct an inadverent error. Perhaps these could be in a Preference dialog as the user probably has only one target device and wants tos set these permanently (changing would be through the preference dialog only).2) If one tries to close NR when NRD is still active, a scary message is dispalyed that means nothing to a non-software developer 'There are 7 ref.....". I suggest removing the message and doing what the user wants. The reason is that it
demonstrates the "Exit" function when invoked in a ccf works as expected and also the next time a file is sent, NR re-opens. The message is simply not required.

3) Try to start a second instance of NRD and another scary message is displayed followed by another equally scary message. There should be zero uncaught exceptions that the user gets to see. I suggest replacing this with a simple message indicateing only one copy of NRD can be active at a time and be done with it.

4) I still believe when NRD is closed, there should be nothing left behind including NR.

Rob H
November 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM
1) When NRD starts up, the windows version of NR appears before NRD. NR displays a CCF from some previous session but it is not clear which one.

This is the last CCF that was opened from the File|Open dialog in NR

When a new ccf is started, the resolution and version dialogs are activated. After a choice is made, there appears to be no way to correct an inadverent error.

You can change this by right clicking on the System node in the tree view on the left and selecting Properties

Perhaps these could be in a Preference dialog as the user probably has only one target device and wants tos set these permanently (changing would be through the preference dialog only)

I'm not convinced of this - I regularly design CCFs at all sorts of different sizes. But a preference dialog to set the default size would be welcome

.2) If one tries to close NR when NRD is still active, a scary message is dispalyed that means nothing to a non-software developer 'There are 7 ref.....". I suggest removing the message and doing what the user wants. The reason is that it
demonstrates the "Exit" function when invoked in a ccf works as expected and also the next time a file is sent, NR re-opens. The message is simply not required.

Seems reasonable to me.

3) Try to start a second instance of NRD and another scary message is displayed followed by another equally scary message. There should be zero uncaught exceptions that the user gets to see. I suggest replacing this with a simple message indicateing only one copy of NRD can be active at a time and be done with it.

Again, this is reasonable.

4) I still believe when NRD is closed, there should be nothing left behind including NR.
But only if NRD was responsible for starting NR.

pjsquared
November 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks Rob for your reply

1) Perhaps this should be the last one saved in NRD as NRD is the development environment for NR. In Visual Studio for example, the target executable does not change the source envrionment. I guess I see these two products as separate entities from the developers point of view. Perhaps NR should not change NRDs world either. Just a convention I suppose.

pjsquared
November 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Forgot one

4) I agree. One cannot start NRD if NR is open in any case (previous suggestion re the error message handling)

Rob H
November 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Eh? I often start NRD when NR is running.

pjsquared
November 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Yes. Strange. A copy of NRD was left behind somehow. It was in Task Manager but I don't know how it was left there.

theguywiththefunnyhair
November 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM

Alot of programs that i use will just highlight or focus the original if you try to start a second instance, i kinda like that because usually if im trying to start a second its because i cant see the first in the plethora of open windows on the desktop.

pjsquared
November 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Even better

dsmes
November 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Why would you want to start a second instance of NRD when you can have multiple CCFs open in one instance? Or is this when opening a second instance by mistake?

pjsquared
November 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM
By mistake.