PDA

View Full Version : keyboard plug-in VS multimedia keyboard

Ron
October 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
There is a saying in my country:
keep it low on plug-ins... the less things running, the more stable. :)

Wise people those Canadians, must visit them sometime!

jediperry
You need a command run on girder startup, or whenever. Select keyboard driver from the plugins tab and learn all the keys you want blocking.

Mike

jediperry
If you are still using girder 3.1 then you also have to enable it in the software plugins tab on the settings dialogue.

The keyblocking you do by clicking the settings button for the keyboard plugin in the plugin tab located bottom right in the main girder window, i.e. setting an action for a command.

This command must then be run for the settings to be applied.

Mike

levyshay
Hi,
If I'm not wrong, In windows Control Panel -> Power Options/Advanced You can choose what to do when a power button is pressed and when a sleep button is pressed, this has one minus that it changes windows reaction to any button it knows as "power" or "sleep" Including the power button of your computer. Give it a try.

I tried it on WinXP, should work for other Os's.

Shay Levy.

LiLRiceBoi
I would like to do the same thing but w/ a different keyboard. Anyone know how to get control of those extra keys?

LiLRiceBoi
I have the same problem. Thats why I want to know how to get control of them. For example, the volume key controls the main volume, but I would like it to control directsound/wave instead.

LiLRiceBoi
I tried it. Didnt see anything different. Maybe I just didnt know how to use it.

How do you block keys? Can you set which keys you want to block?

LiLRiceBoi
It says its not a configurable plugin

Marsupial
Hi guys! hope not to be Off-Topic... anyhow, I,ve got a question

I've got a BTC-5800 multimedia keyboard (ugly keyboard with play/stop/power/etc keys) on my multimedia computer, and I decided to use it in cooperation with the remote control.

When I installed the remote plug-in, it did stop all previously programmed events.

now on the keyboard, if I keep the "software" on the computer, it controls directly the volume display (ugly and unalterable... unlike girder) so I decided to deinstall it totally. Girder does recognize those keys (thanks to the keyboard plug in) but there is still the "WWW" key that launch the calculator (?) and the wake-sleep that enables sleep with no warning.

BUt worst: the power key automatically power down the computer WITH NO WARNING AT ALL...

anyone know how I could pass over this and redirect them in Girder for CUSTOMIZATION???

I tried to find a prog, or a register key, but it seams nothing is anywhere, which I doubt.

thanks a lot guys

Marsupial
well, thanks for the tip.
It's great, now my computer goes on hibernation. Still it DOES go on hybernation WITHOUT ANY WARNING.

I'd like to be able to CONTROL those stupid keys... if I cannot, I'll switch to a standard IBM PS2 full click keyboard. I prefer those standard ones to a hit-a-key-and-loose-your-time-with-no-warning keyboard. But I'd like to use the volumes, play, etc...
I realised that each and every time I press play, it mutes... this key driver is so weird... I just don't find a way to uninstall it.

anyway, thanks

Marsupial
Actually if you enable the keyboard plug-in in Girder, you should be able to LEARN just like with the remote, but with the special keys.

My trouble was not there, those keys are automatically attached to an action in windows on my keyboard model. :(

anyway. I just watch not to hit the powerdown key. :evil:

hope this helps

Marsupial
did you tried the keyboard plug in?

There an advanced keyboard plug in that is supposed to block some keys, but Girder went unstable on my system with it so I decided to manage around the stupid keyboard. I might just put a plain standard keyboard. Who needs a keyboard?? let'S just use the remote!!!! ;)

advanced keyboard plug in:
http://www.girder.nl/downloadn.php?Link=353

check it out, tell us how it goes.

Marsupial
AS I said, I don't actually use the other pluig-in, as it turns my LCARS terminal unstable... this said, you go to the plug-in settings, there is something about blocking keys.

When using this plug-in, you don't use the standard keyboard functionality, use the ones UNDER PLUG-IN. if you don't have it, activate the plug-it. if you can't, there's something about your config.

Else, I cannot help, this plug in I don't use.

There is a saying in my country:
keep it low on plug-ins... the less things running, the more stable. :)