PDA

View Full Version : Brave souls wanted :)

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
I've been doing a bit of work on GAC.lua lately, and before we release it with the next build of NetRemote I was hoping that a couple of brave souls who use Mediabridge extensively might try the latest version. It's been refactored quite a lot and seems to work okay here.

Please make a backup of your existing files so you can easily restore them in case of problems.

Replace the existing files in luascript\startup with the two attached versions and let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to address them as quickly as I can.

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Oh, and by the way, anyone who's using the Flatstyle CCF or a CCF derived from it may want to make one small change to the .lua file.

Find the line

mygacl = GAC:new{var='GACL',includeSubItemCount=1,imageSize ='S', fields='Album,Album Artist (auto)',count=20, useGP=1, };

Change the includeSubItemCount=1 to includeSubItemCount=0 and you should see a substantial speed improvement when paging in the covers view.

DaveS
November 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Rob, I don't have an additions.lua file in startup

DaveS
November 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Using Flatstyle here and yes browsing covers is much quicker

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
What build of NR are you using? Additions.lua should have been been included with the last few builds at least. If you're using a recent build then there's a problem with the installer.

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Anyone else tried this yet?

The next build of NetRemote will almost certainly have this code in it, so it would help you as well as us to test this :)

jwilson56
November 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Well I am using build 2.0.8.131 and I do not see those files either.

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
You must have GAC.lua though? In luascript\startup, not luascript.

But have you found any problems?

jwilson56
November 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Ok... dropped those files into place and changed the LUA file. Personally I think its a bit slow for me. Of coarse I didn't use the Flat file as a base for my browser and you can check back last spring (under the Flat thread post #107) when I posted about how slow the Flat was compared to the to the new-pro_480x640.ccf code and LUA file. So I chose to use that as a base for my browser instead of Flat.

After dropping the files into place and making the change to the LUA file it now takes at lease 4 seconds to display (seems to pause then displays the list) the next 10 albums in the list (830+ CD's). I suppose that is an improvement over the 8 seconds it was taking using the Flat CCF.

My current browser using the code from new-pro_480x640.ccf is less than 1 second. So for me this is not an improvement. I would ask once again for someone to go through and check the new-pro_480x640.ccf and its LUA file to see why there is such a difference. I can't see any functional differences either. It operates the same as far as I can tell and can drill back up for the albums or playlists without losing its place in the list.

I also tried the new files with no changes to my CCF LUA file and it appears to work fine and is about the same speed as with the old files in the startup folder. So if they become part of the NR install it won't effect me from what I can tell. But I have to say I prefer 1 second over 4 seconds every time I hit the button.

Rob H
November 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
The only difference I can tell between new_pro and FlatStyle is the includeSubItemCount that I mentioned earlier.

Are you saying that the new code in GAC.lua is 4 times slower than the old GAC.lua? Or am I misunderstanding you?

jwilson56
November 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Rob H;131378]The only difference I can tell between new_pro and FlatStyle is the includeSubItemCount that I mentioned earlier.

Are you saying that the new code in GAC.lua is 4 times slower than the old GAC.lua? Or am I misunderstanding you?[/QUOTE

Ok...tried the latest Flat CCF I have and with the old files in the startup I see a 4-5 second delay to show the next 10 albums.

I then loaded the new files in the Startup folder and with no changes to the Flat LUA file and it takes about 4 seconds to bring up the next 10 CD's into view. The Flat LUA already had

mygacl = GAC:new{var='GACL',includeSubItemCount=1,imageSize ='S', fields='Album,Album Artist (auto)',count=20, useGP=1, };

So I didn't have to change that. So I seem to have a slight improvement with the new files.

I changed it includeSubItemCount=0 and the Flat CCF is now pretty close to the speed of my CCF.

So the question is what does 'includeSubItemCount' do and how is effecting the functionality? Its not readily apparent that there is any difference in the way the browser works.

The original post back when was on a slower PC than what I am using now. So I suspect that people with slower machine will see even a better performance gain. This machine is my super fast overclocked game machine..

Rob H
November 3rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
Ah, right thanks.

includeSubItemCount=1 means that it Mediabridge gathers more information about the individual tracks in the albums, but I don't think Flatstyle is making use of that information. Perhaps it was from an experiment that didn't work as well as hoped, but that was left in the code.

DaveS
November 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
using build 131.

maxthebuilder
November 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Rob,
What are the new features/improvements there?
Installed - no prob so far.
FYI: I didn't have the Additions.lua in my startup folder (nor anywhere else) - I am on 2.0.8.131

Thanks!
--max

I've been doing a bit of work on GAC.lua lately, and before we release it with the next build of NetRemote I was hoping that a couple of brave souls who use Mediabridge extensively might try the latest version. It's been refactored quite a lot and seems to work okay here.

Please make a backup of your existing files so you can easily restore them in case of problems.

Replace the existing files in luascript\startup with the two attached versions and let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to address them as quickly as I can.

Rob H
November 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
It's mostly tidying up the code to make it easier to modify, and hopefully to reduce the amount of string garbage that gets created. This may have made it marginally quicker, but only by a very small amount.

I did add a couple of methods though, MoveUp and MoveDown to make it easier to move items around the playlist.

VicVonDoom
November 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
whilst you guys have mediabridge in bits & doing some gac surgery, any chance of passing the "notes" field from dvdprofiler into nr? Say as "MP.DVDI.Disc.Notes" for example ;)

Rob H
November 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Can't you add that field when you create the GAC object? Or does Mediabridge just not send it?

I haven't touched Mediabridge yet, just GAC.lua