PDA

View Full Version : Documentation of girder's function-calls?

T.T.TT.Zassi
October 11th, 2003, 02:30 PM
First of all:
Great stuff!!! It helps me a lot of doing my work as programmer for remote and show controls for live events, concerts, conferences, ...
A few days ago I used girder to synchronise 5 Powerpoint-Shows (Slide switching and mouse-moves/clicks) for a automation conference.

But there are some questions left

Is there any documentation (list containing syntax and necessary variables, ...) of integrated girder's lua functions used in scripts?
There are (some) documentations supplied with the plugins e.g. like the serial plugin (SERIAL_SendData(string DeviceName, string DataString, ...), but I havn't found some for the girder's basic functions.

I apologise if there is any documentation and I wasn't too dump to find it by searching the website and the forum.

Bitmonster
October 11th, 2003, 03:10 PM
http://www.girder.nl/help/girderlua.php#concat

There aren't much extensions.

Greatest extension is the WinLUAEx plugin.

miked
October 11th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Also, look on the web site www.lua.org -- specifically under documentation. Note that Girder uses version 4 of Lua, not the latest version 5, so you'll have to look at documentation for past releases. If you're handy with another scripting language, like Perl or Python, or know how to program in C++, it's really just a nomenclature issue, and you can see from the documentation provided on www.lua.org how to do the things you want. For string manipulation, Lua provides a very robust set of functions that are in Girder. File reading and writing is pretty good too. Also, Ron in his infinite wisdom included a "round" function which has come in handy for me (and which I'm surprised Lua doesn't support out of the box!). a = round(b, d) rounds b to the number of decimal places specified in d (such as 0 if you want an integer), and sets a equal to this.

If you need some more tutorial-based help, the Lua Wiki webpedia is a good resource, with several tutorials: http://lua-users.org/

Lua is a really nice scripting engine. The only thing I have to get used to is using "~=" to mean "not equal" in comparisons, instead of the "!=" that I know and love! :)

T.T.TT.Zassi
October 12th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the tips, but I've studied these documentations carefully.

Well, possibly I did not ask the question clearly enough. So I try again.
For scripting inside Girder there are functions defined, that are not implemented inside lua. For example the function TriggerEvent (EventString,Number,Payload1,Payload2) or function supplied by plugins like SERIAL_SendData(SerialDevice,DataToSend)

I assume that there are much more functions like TriggerEvent used in girder (even without using plugins).
But until now I do not have found any documentation about these functions.

Greetings to all of you :wink:

miked
October 12th, 2003, 03:08 AM
I think that the best thing to do is use the search function in the forums. It's really the best documentation for a lot of things . . . .

Bitmonster
October 12th, 2003, 06:18 AM
But until now I do not have found any documentation about these functions.

Simply because there aren't any more. :)
Actually only TriggerEvent is a function that's very Girder-special. No more are needed (to control Girder).

The few other are only there to fill some holes, that LUA might have till now (missing directory functions and and some bit-manipulation functions, etc.). But it would also be possible to use some external LUA-library for those.

Anyhow, there is no "undocumented" function so far.