PDA

View Full Version : What PPC should i get?

hadees
May 22nd, 2003, 04:42 AM
I am a palm man my self but this program looks to good to pass up

The only thing is since this will only be a remote i don't want to spend alot, i have the wireless router already so i need a Pocket PC and a wireless card for it. How ever what i am really intrested in what Pocket PC i should get.

I just want one that will last a decent amount of time out of it's charger (also i would be nice if the charger looked good since it will be sitting on my coffee table). Be just fast enough to run just netremote. And has a good enough display/touchscreen to be a good remote controll.

My price range for the Pocket PC is like $60-$120 but i would rather go with a cheap as i can get before it would be a crappy remote

Thanks

jeroen020
May 22nd, 2003, 08:14 AM
You could consider getting a second hand Compaq Ipaq 3600 series. They have a color screen, decent processor, 32 or 64 MB of RAM, are upgradeable to PocketPC 2002, have a nice looking cradle and are expandable with WiFi through an CF or PCMCIA expansion sleeve. If its battery is in good shape, it should last you long enough, however the battery is something that can wear out more quickly, so buying second hand can be risky. But if you put it in the cradle and have the cradle connected to power, any Ipaq will do. Ipaqs have been the most succesful PocketPC's in the market, so it's easy to find them as well as accessories and parts for them.

However, although you may find an 36xx for in the 100-200 US$ range, you'll also need a CF sleeve + WiFi card to make it work for Netremote, so it might be over your budget. A PocketPC that has a built-in CF slot may save you some.

z.mash
May 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
People have found new Maestros at CompUSA (although they now appear to be sold out), and the Dell Axim (http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm) is pretty cheap ($179 w/ CF slot).