PDA

View Full Version : New Girder Version (Upgrade question)

geogecko
November 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Good Morning.

I recently heard that a new version of Girder was coming out (version 4) and that this version was going to be a bit easier to use that the current version. I am getting ready to build an HTPC, and am slowly gathering parts/software.

My question is that if I were to buy a copy of Girder now, would I be able to upgrade to the new version 4 for free, or is there a fee for doing so? If so, is there an estimated time for when version 4 will be available, because if it's soon, I may be able to wait, but I was really wanting to get some experience before Feb of 2005 comes along.

Thank you very much.

birty
November 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
i don't think fees or release dates have been finalised yet but if you buy version 3 now version 4 will almost certainly be cheaper

geogecko
November 24th, 2004, 11:38 AM
:) I'm not sure how much cheaper than $20 you can get, but I guess if they made it $10, that is fine. I just don't want to pay $20 twice within the course of 6 months or so.

That aside, I heard that the new version will be more "user friendly." Is this true, and can you shed some light on that topic? From what I've read, Girder is a very powerful program, but most people that I've talked to about it, say there is a pretty steep learning curve.

Promixis
November 24th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Girder 4 is in active development. We do not have an ETA. It will be done when its done and it will done right. It most definitely will be easier to use then G3.3. There will be an upgrade path from G3.3 to G4.

geogecko
November 24th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks Mike, I've read a lot of your posts, and I can't believe you have time do even read threads, with as much as you are doing... :o

Okay. So if I start using G3.3, will I be at a loss for learning how to use it the way it is used now, versus how it will be used in G4?

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I may not want to take the time and effort into learning G3.3, if it's going to be totally different, and require me to learn it all over again in G4.

However, it doesn't really matter, if G4 is projected to arrive later than Feb. of 2005, I'll need something before then. I understand the importance of doing something right, so I'm not complaining that it's taking a while, but do you anticipate that it will be out before Feb. of next year? If not, I'll take the plunge now, and start learning Girder 3.3. I imagine the upgrade path will be relitively cheap, considering the current version is only $20. If that's the case, then I don't mind paying for an upgrade version...

Promixis
November 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Hi,

G4 will be similar to G3.3 in terms of the tree structure, how commands and events work. G4 will load most 3.3 programs. There will be some breakage in Lua scripts as we are moving to Lua 5 from Lua 4.

We have not determined any pricing at this time. That being said, cost of G4 will be less for G3.3 users.

We really do not have a release date. We would like to be done in Q1 but we are not doing this with a deadline as our goal. Our goal is a rock solid, powerful, feature rich automation program with great documentation. So, it will be done when its done :)

geogecko
November 24th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Great. I think at this point, when I receive my USB-UIRT that I ordered, I'll go ahead and get a copy of G3.3 to play around with. At least I'll understand the basic structure when it comes time to build my HTPC, and when the new version comes out.

It looks like the support for Girder is pretty good, just from looking at all the posts in this forum.

Thanks for your assistance. (I'm sure I'll need more in the coming weeks.)

Jason.