Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much LUA?

Default Too much LUA?

I'm becoming increasingly worried about the amount of stuff that needs to execute in the LUA environment. What I mean is there are things that are being done in LUA scripts that take a LONG time to complete and during this time no other threads can use the LUA environment.

On my current development system, this has the effect of delaying all event processing as, for example, a LUA based UI is initialized. This means plugin and LUA script developers need to take into account that they may not be able to execute LUA code for a MINUTE or more. In this non-deterministic environment, "time-out" logic becomes painful or, sometimes, worthless.

I have toyed with the idea of creating and managing multiple separate LUA environments inside the serial plugin to get around this problem; but, before taking this radical step, I was wondering if anyone else sees "too much LUA" as a problem?

It is quite possible that, instead, I am just worried about nothing.
    Mark F

You have a good point - it would be good to be able to run a LUA script as a separate thread. e.g. LDJ's Rescan can take quite a while to run.
    --Rob

I certainly see your concern.... especially with the serial plugin has time critical pieces. There is a multithreaded non standard distro of lua 5 which could solve this problem. Or you could have a seperate enviroment on a differnet thread with all the issues attached with that. However, I haven't seen problems with Girder becoming bogged down running too much Lua. The HAI Omni and LCD Master scripts are probably doing a 1000 lines of lua a second with 3-5% cpu use on a P 1.5. The real problem I see is a lua chuck that takes a long time to run and blocks the rest of Girder ie. we now have a lua zip library and that certainly can hog the system for many seconds....

A way of letting a Lua script yield control back to Girder would help. Although there are reentrancy issues obviously.
    --Rob

I agree, Mike. LUA runs perfectly fast. Some of the operations we are asking it to do block for a long time. That is the problem.
    Mark F

Actually, Rob, LUA 5 contains support for cooperative multi-threading. (It is called coroutines in the documentation)

In the past, cooperative multi-threading, in an open development environment, hasn't worked out very well. If you are old enough , remember Windows 3.x and how a single application could freeze the UI while it did something? Same problem. One poorly written script spoils it for everyone.
    Mark F

I never realized that this was an issue before, but now that you have pointed it out I can see ho this could be a serious problem. I think that there are going to be an increasing number of people that use Girder for more than just their HTPCs. I for one am planning on managing a security system that uses motion sensors, door magnets, and cameras. I also will be managing my door entry system. I can't think of anything presently that may interfere with the setup, but as a possible example for the future, what would happen if someone was trying to enter the front door and I was browsing the LUA XMLTV Guide? Or if there is a complicated automatic procedure happening while there is a break-in and as a result there are no video clips taken and emailed to me at work in time before the computer is disconnected?

Maybe I'm just paranoid and thinking of a worst-case scenario. ops:

Perhaps the solution, then, is to have a design guide that states that any interface that you expose in LUA should NOT block, unless that is it's only purpose (see win.Sleep()). If the operation will take a "long time", there should be a notification interface (callback, event, etc.) to announce completion.

Our new problems will then be:
    1. How does this get enforced?
    2. How long is a "long time"?
    3. How do we get the LUA script development community to use an event driven or finite state machine paradigm instead of the brute force straight line method? (see #1)

Probably not a good idea after all.
    Mark F

quixote - That is exactly the type of stuff that worries me. Mission critical, 24/7/365.
    Mark F

Mike and I spoke briefly and I agree, this is a problem waiting to happen and I have be thinking of a solution. One thing that Mike suggested is this:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~diego/p...read/home.html

I am experimenting with this right now.
    Ron
    No support through PM