Thread: Dump my Kameleon "one for all" remote for USB-UIRT

Default Dump my Kameleon "one for all" remote for USB-UIRT

Just stumbled onto the Girder community today. Total Newbie, but tech savvy. Be nice.

My "radio shack purchased" Kameleon 8-device Universal Remote has an exposed circuit board near the batteries labled JP1 with 6 little metal discs. My first hope was to somehow get my xp machine wired into the remote through Girder - but I'm thinking that's more ambitious than I want if it's even possible at all.

Plan B is to turn my XP machine into the universal remote. Looking for a all in one solution, and have found the usb-uirt box. (This will be for my home electronics: tivo, tv, stereo, etc. Not to control my PC).

Am I correct thinking that the usb-uirt box is actually "dumb" without the software/code programming component of this project? I would need to download a usb-uirt specific module into the girder software to interface with the device, right? And once that is done, would I then need to find seperate modules for all the codes for my electronic devices?

Thoughts? Comments? Horror stories?

Is the USB-UIRT a smart idea for a relatively "no-hassle" solution to turn my XP box into a remote control that can both learn codes through software downloads as well as from my old remotes? Is Girder the one and only software solution that I could use? Or simply the most popular.

Thanks
    Mike

Yeah, the box has no codes built in to it, so everything's controlled from Girder (or soon from NetRemote via Girder). And I have had it for a couple of years, and I control most of my home through it (including the kids - by turning on Fox Kids or Cartoon). It's a very valuable part of my home integration and I recommend it without any reservations.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Default Control X10?

Hello

I am newbie to Netremote and Girder also...but very excited to learn how to use it.
    Do you/Can you control X10 stuff with them? Just curious....I want to do that besides control everything.

After reading many articles, I ordered a USB-UINT...should have it tommorrow.

I am sure I will be all over these forums sponging knowledge.

Thank you