Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Insteon Plugin Beta

Quote Originally Posted by quixote
    I'm still waiting for my hardware. :evil:
    I had to cancel my original order because it took longer than 2 weeks to ship, and placed one with SmartHome. Now my shipment is stuck in Illinois or somewhere waiting to clear customs at some place called "BorderFree".
    I hope I don't miss the boat on the Beta testing. I've been waiting for a month!!!
    with the current state of the insteon device manager (smarthome's product) you won't be missing anything

Oh. That bad? Did I waste my money again? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by quixote
    Oh. That bad? Did I waste my money again? :-?
    no it will be fine once they get their act together.

Latest Insteon Release!
    Last edited by Ron; October 5th, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

I finally had some time to start playing with the Insteon plug-in. A few questions/comments:

1. I get some errors in the LUA console if I start Girder before starting the SDM... I'm presume I should always start the SDM first? The errors go away if SDM is already running when I launch Girder.

2. This isn't a Girder issue, but it seems that Insteon wants each device to be linked to the USB controller through a process of button pressing (10 seconds on the USB controller, then 10 seconds on the device). Is there no autodiscovery of devices? It seems like Insteon should be able to send out an RF (or even a powerline) packet saying: "Hey -- what's out there?". Not a big deal, but I've got every switch and every plug-lamp in the house on Insteon, so I wasn't anticipating the set-up overhead.

3. Even after creating the links, it seems to take a LONG time to query the PLC to retrieve the links, and then they never actually show up in the Girder UI (though they do show up nin the Smarthome Timer app). User error on my side setting up the links perhaps? I used Smarthome's free Timer software to set up the links. In Girder, I get a long string of DM DELAY messages in the LUA console and Send Failed messages in the log (even though the initial communication with the PLC seems happy enough). I've tried resetting the SDM from within Girder, with no change in result.

4. If I start SmartHome's free Timer software, they launch a seperate (older) version of SDM... that seems rather poor form on their part. Perhaps the version disconnect explains why my links aren't showing up in Girder?

5. I note that I'm seeing a "COM exception.\src\library\tLUACom.cpp, 394): Access violation at address 005FEA2B in module 'SDM3.exe'. Write of address 00004C58. This occurs the first time that I access the UI for the Insteon plug-in in Girder.

6. Nothing to do with Girder, but I couldn't get a keypadlinc to link to the usb controller... any tips? The keypadlinc has been full of 'quirks' (one might even say 'bugs')... if this is V2, I'd hate to have seen what V1 looked like.

7. Assuming I figure out how to get the links showing up/working, can I have a LUA function that processes all Insteon traffic? What event would I key off of?

Thanks for adding Insteon support! I'm looking forward to having everthing work happily together!

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Latest Insteon Release!
    This version is working really well for me

SDM 191.

Thank you Ron!

Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Routine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Latest Insteon Release!
    This version is working really well for me

SDM 191.

Thank you Ron!

Rand

good, another update is due out today/tomorrow.

smarthome is looking at our plc link issues. we will see

I have 2 Insteon 600w dimmers. I am trying to link both of them from the Girder Insteon Plugin as a group. 1 a master and 1 a slave but have no luck on them working together. When I use 1 of them the LEDS change on 1 but not the other. Maybee I am doing something wrong but how can I have them linked together? When I linked the 2 dimmers together on the dimmers itself they both make the change just not in Girder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tpinfo4
    I have 2 Insteon 600w dimmers. I am trying to link both of them from the Girder Insteon Plugin as a group. 1 a master and 1 a slave but have no luck on them working together. When I use 1 of them the LEDS change on 1 but not the other. Maybee I am doing something wrong but how can I have them linked together? When I linked the 2 dimmers together on the dimmers itself they both make the change just not in Girder.

Thanks
    First step is too make sure the device are in the device list and that you can control them using Girder. Is this working?

Plugin has been updated.
    Ron
    No support through PM