Thread: Suggestions on handling multiple groups?

Default Suggestions on handling multiple groups?

I am trying to set up Girder to run everything through a front end called Digital Theater.

I have created a group for Digital Theater, and separate groups for each of my other programs, Cineplayer DVD, DScaler, etc. I am using the same remote for all the programs. I use Digital Theater to spawn off the different programs based on what I wish to do.

Within Girder I am currently starting with all groups disabled except for Digital Theater. From within Digital Theater I launch another program and disable the Digital Theater group and enable Cineplayer. Then when I close the Cineplayer. I restore the Digital Theater window, re-enable its group, disable Cineplayer group, and close Cineplayer.

Is this the recommended way to handle different groups that all use the same remote?

thanks,

it depends...
    let's see, what if you want to launch some other program in the group in the same time with your cyber...
    or, what if you close your program by hand (i suppose that your principal group remains disabled)
    or what if you start it by hand ?

cheers

True. What if/when the program hangs or crashes?

I guess another way would be to use your multi functions remote to chose the "state" Girder would be in. Then if you push the DVD button on the remote that group would be activated and by pushing the CD button on the remote you could then activate the CD group. Maybe that would be a better approach.

dave

using many disabled groups is basically the way I have implemented my HTPC. With the 'POWER' button the HTPC goes always in the main menu and closes all open applications (including some exceptional behavior sometimes of WinDVBlive and Zoomplayer :P ).

From the main menu the user can select between 6 applications;
    Digital tv
    Digital radio
    MP3 jukebox
    DVD player
    Divx player
    Photo album

Some of these players are automatically started or stopped when a DVD/CD is inserted (via DVDspy).

The disadvantage is that I can't run applications in parallel, but the advantage is that the remote is always working properly. There is no need to change between all those different modes, since PLAY means play for the running application.

I'm totally happy with that and maybe (after I learn to work with Girder 3.1) I will implement parallel operation of some applications. It doesn't make sense to run for instance TV and DVD player in parallel.

Personally I think that Girder is getting too complicated at the moment. Somehow we should have a kind of 'higher level' program based on a kind of state machine to develop complex programs for HTPC's. But I think that will remain a dream....

Wykat

Wykat,

you describe a system that I would like to emulate... is there any chance you'd post your Girder config and an explanation please?

thanks
    Kristan

can try :wink:

Main - (1) Digital TV - (*) Dscaler
    ................................(=) Videotext
    ................................(Menu) Menu - (1) CAM 1
    .................................................. .- (2) CAM 2
    ................................(Record/playback) {Not 100%, waiting for new WinDVBlive}
    .......- (2) Digital Radio {menu in LCD shows 6 pre-programmed channels}
    .......- (3) MP3 Jukebox - (Menu) {menu via LCD}
    .......- (4) DVD
    .......- (5) Divx (missing a menu to select movie files here !!)
    .......- (6) Photoalbum
    .......- (0) Menu - (1) - Select digital TV application
    .......................- (2) - Select digital radio applicaiton
    .......................- (3) - Select MP3 player
    .......................- (4) - Select DVD player
    .......................- (5) - Select Divx player
    .......................- (6) - Select Photoalbum
    .......................- (7) - Overlay to TV
    .......................- (8) - Overlay to Proki
    .......................- (9) - HTPC shutdown {want to change this to STR}

So 'Power' button ALWAYS goes to main, kind of reset for the HTPC. Note that the overview only shows the groups, not all the additional commands in the groups.
    The last part (menu) where you can select which application to use works, but makes it quite complicated. Example;
    Start digital TV executes a group with following commands;
    Start WinDVBlive
    Enable WinDVBlive group
    Start WatchTVpro
    Enable WatchTVpro group
    Start <whatever>
    Enable <whatever> group
    The menu enable/disables the requested applications and girder control group in this command. For simplicity I would leave this part out.

The Girder file also contains a STARTUP group/command. This is useful to initialize the HTPC (e.g. LCD, icon hider, removing nag screens :lol: , etc.)

Finally there is a group called DVD/CD management. After a DVD insert is detected, the command checks via IF FILE EXISTS what kind of DVD/CD is inserted and automatically starts the requested application and enables the corresponding group.

Basically only the main and DVD/CD management groups are always active. The status of the other groups depend on the status of the program.

Wykat