Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: girder autoload only for adminstrative accts in W2K?

I think Girder needs Admin rights on Win2k + it writes in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE part of the registry.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Is a program that is running as a normal user allowed to read and write the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ? If not how can I change that ?
    Ron
    No support through PM

I'd noticed this as well.
    I'm fairly sure normal users are allowed to read/write HKLM.
    Some restricted users are prevented from writing to the registry but they can still read it (or at least should be able to)!
    I would quite like a solution to this because I have a machine which I use at parties etc. for jukebox/dvd and I don't really want people 'fiddling' around with it.

If someone can suggest a way to handle this, I'm all ears.

Or should we only allow Admin users to be able to modify settings, normal users will have to do with the settings as they are made by the Admin. (sounds pretty good to me, and this is also good for Matt's problem)
    Ron
    No support through PM

Hmmm, that is a good point Matt, I'll check what the default value for delphi is ( I guess KEY_ALL_ACCESS ) !! Changing this is trivial. :-)
    Ron
    No support through PM

Matt, you are right, delphi opens the regsitery by default with key_all_access changing this over to KEY_READ for the read functions fixes the problem. Girder 3.2alpha13 will have this fixed.
    Ron
    No support through PM

This tells me my plugins (OSD PopUp, Logger, Serial) will fail on these same machines. Back to HKCU they go. GRRRRRR. :evil:
    Mark F

Default Permissions can be set for individual keys

Administrative users can use regedt32 (NOT regedit) to set permissions for named users or groups on any part of the registry - down to the level of individual keys (from the Security/Permissions menu). However your fix sounds better because you don't really want to open HKLM up to everyone. In the case where you _do_ need write permission to a particular key then you can do this without making the whole tree writeable.
    Bart

Anything is possible. After all, it is only software. I'll take a stab at using read-only and read-write access. I don't have a system to debug this on so if it works, great. If it doesn't, the source is included.

This is the best offer I can make. Sorry.
    Mark F

I've updated the Serial plugin (version 3.0.4) to do this. The plugin works on Win '98 SE (which doesn't have the same permission structure as W2K ).

If someone with W2K could try this when it hits the server, I'd appreciate it. If it works, I'll update Logger and OSD PopUp with similar code.
    Mark F