Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Android control client

Quote Originally Posted by HTLuke View Post
    Turns out the root issue I thought might be the issue, wasn't. The file that may be causing problems would be on the device but you can't get to it without root. And, uninstalling would delete the entire parent directory that it's in anyway, so that file doesn't appear to be the issue either.

Let me give it some thought, and maybe add some debugging code and supply a new version to try.
    Hi Luke,

Just purchased the other night.

Not sure if the above is still expected? Mine still crashes out with a force close if I try and add a new entity on device.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by yamy125 View Post
    Hi Luke,

Just purchased the other night.

Not sure if the above is still expected? Mine still crashes out with a force close if I try and add a new entity on device.

Cheers
    Wow, no I would have expected this to be resolved with the release version which should have forced the table to be re-created at several points. This is still on the Xoom running Android 3.2 right?

So under the hood I maintain two entirely separate database files, one for layout stuff and one just for the gallery. This way, when I'm completely wiping out the layout data, I can cheat and delete the layout db file instead of clearing the db with sql commands (which is much faster) and still leave the gallery database intact. This however requires that I load/create the two databases in a somewhat non-standard (but still perfectly legal) way. This is where the problem must be occuring for you for some reason.

I'm putting in some extra logging/pop-up debug statements around the db creation, and I'm going to catch the force close and instead pop up an error to the screen with some extra data in it, which should help me trace what your particular setup is not liking. Also I may add a 'compatibility' mode which will fall back to using one db and the slower database deletion methods so it at least will work on your device (once I know how to detect the situation and assuming I can't fix it).

I'll put this in the next update tonight; if you could, please uninstall the current version, re-install with the new version when it's available (will be 1.9.55b) and watch for pop-up messages about database creation on first start-up. Then also try to add a new entity and see what that message says as well, and post it here.

Sorry for the continued problem with this, it's a bit of a head scratcher since I can't reproduce it on the emulator or any of my devices.

Quote Originally Posted by yamy125 View Post
    Hi Luke,
    Ok, version 1.9.55b has been submitted to the market and should be available to update to in a few hours. I've added a few things:

- Some code that might solve the problem
    - A pop-up message if the gallery database can't be created (watch for this the first time Andre is run after a clean install; should happen almost right away)
    - A catch to prevent the force-close which will also report that the gallery cannot be read/written to
    - A debug routine (Menu->More->Debug) which will check for the gallery file and report its size

Please uninstall the current version to start fresh, then install 1.9.55b. When you run it, watch closely as it launches for any pop up that says the gallery database couldn't be created. If you don't see that, try the debug routine and see if it says there's a database file. If there is, try to 'add entity' and see if it works.

Let me know what happens and (assuming the code that may fix the problem didn't work) I'll hopefully be able to take further steps to figure out what's not working right.

Hi Luke,

Uninstalled old. Installed new. No sign of popup mentioned at start. Debug reports gallery database found with a size of 6144. I no longer have the application force closing when attempting to add a new entity, but don't seem to be able to do anything. Basically clicking the new entity button opens up a black screen with 'select entity' as a heading and a left and right arro. No other data and no input or option to select. Only way to progress from here is to click exit.

Oh., and forgot to answer your other questions. Still running stock 3.2 on Xoom - that is correct.

Cheers,

Tom

Ok, I think I've actually found the problem (a bug with sqlite in some flavors of Android 3.2 specifically for the attach command) and found a workaround. I'm building and testing version 1.9.56b which should hit the market in a little bit. Give that a try, your problem with the gallery should be fixed.

Note of course, the gallery starts empty right now... I'm still in the process of creating the default set of gallery items, so all you will see is the tabs across the top. However, you can add new items to the gallery yourself (in edit mode tap an item, select the Utils tab in the edit panel and enter a name for the new gallery entry and tap 'add to gallery'). So you can edit anything you've loaded as a config.xml (e.g. the default or demo configs) to make them a 'base' entity for your own needs and add them. Then you'll be able to create new copies of them in your layout from 'Add Entity'.

I've actually got a dummy set of default items I'll throw in on the next release so at least there's one of each to get started with.

Thanks btw for running through the debug steps, it helped narrow the problem down considerably. I had assumed the problem was in creating the file, as that had potential permissions issues. I never expected the problem to be an obscure sqlite/android bug.

Actually I believe I have introduced a new bug I need to fix. Hold off updating for a bit. I will post when I have another release up.

Ok, look for 1.9.58b when it appears in the market. This one should work for everyone.
    Last edited by HTLuke; May 7th, 2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: change to correct version number

Got it thanks Luke and looking better. Haven't yet had time to try creating a new entity, but page now loads up with corrected heading with entity types. I thought you would be able to create new entities in here, so I ned to do a little more reading from your above post to get cracking I think.

Just created and tested first entity on device no problem. Seems issue is fixed Luke. Very much looking forward to example gallery items so I can have a decent crack at this. Also really missing ability to snap-to-grid for alignment. Is this still a planned feature? Would make on-device editing so much more user friendly I would think.