Thread: Interesting Problem

Default Interesting Problem

I've been looking for software to do what girder does for years now.

I've got 2 ir recievers on my machine. I read back on the forums and discovered that 1 is not going to work, it's a usb-irda device. Oh well.
    However, the other is an older wireless keyboard/mouse reciever. It is a silitek keyboard that I've had for a long time now and use primarily, I'll have to go home to get the model. It's a serial connection for the IR reciever. Girder shows that it has recieved messages (I'm assuming from this device) , but I can't get it to learn anything from it. The silitek plugin that I got from the plugin page says that it cannot load properly (can't read first char(?)). The reciever has led's that show when it is recieving ir info, and they light whenever I use any remote or the keyboard.

any suggestions?

I have the Silitek keyboard as well, and Girder won't be able to work with it. Here's why. The Silitek receiver plugs into the keyboard port and the mouse port (either PS2 or serial port). The receiver receives the infrared signals from the keyboard, and then translates them into the actual keyboard or mouse commands before sending them to the computer. So, your computer is none the wiser that a wireless keyboard is being used; likewise, Girder wouldn't be able to pick up the commands from the Silitek receiver.

That said, the Silitek *transmitters* (keyboard, mouse, whatever) are still normal IR devices, so they can be used with any other type of IR receiver that Girder can talk to.

when it's put that way, it makes complete sense. well, damn...

okay, so to do what I want, what's the best way to go? Cheap IR reciever that I could buy/build. I figure there are all kinds out there, but I want one that is known to work with little or no effort.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that my job takes a lot of time away from home, and I'm not typically in the mood to troubleshoot problems on my PC after an 18 hour day... I tend to get a little frustrated.

I've used the IRMan from www.evation.com with very good results . . . . Their US distributor is in the Pacific Northwest. Make sure you first install the programs that IRMan ships with, which I think installs some type of drivers. Then it works great with Girder.