View Full Version : No default CCF?

February 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
This is a real newbie question, so please bear with me.

I installed NetRemote and started MediaBridge. I'm trying to get it to work with iTunes.

I start NetRemote on the PC and get a view that says Media Center, but it shows the info in iTunes just fine. Okay.

When I open NetRemote on the PPC however, it says I have to pick a CCF and then shows a blank list -- there are none. Shouldn't there have been a default for the PPC? Is there a way I can install it manually?

Also, can I use any of the other ones? Like JLee's Opus? Even though I'm wanting to control iTunes rather than JRMC?

And, if I copy a CCF file manually, where exactly does it need to go on the PPC?

February 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
There should be a default ccf installed. In the documents directory. You can use almost any ccf with itunes except that you will not have all the functionality of JRMC. This is due to the limitations of the itunes interface.

Ben S
February 3rd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Is this with Is this with NetRemote Music or NetRemote Pro?

February 3rd, 2005, 08:37 AM
NetRemote Music. Whatever the version in the download directory is. I think it says .15, yes I checked, it says

What "documents" directory? I don't have one of those.

On both the PC and the PPC, all I have is a Promixis NetRemote directory in the Programs folder.

I did find the Opus ccf and that sort of works. However, I don't see any playlists. Shouldn't I be able to use Playlists from iTunes?

February 3rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
You should have a directory on your ppc called NR CCF within the My Documents folder and that's where you put your ccf's. The playlists tab in my CCF is designed for use with Media Centre and has to be pointed (via an entry in the lua file) at the tree location of your playlists. I don't know but very much doubt whether this bit of functionality will work in iTunes.

iTunes is very limited and tame in functionality compared with MC. Since MC can do everything and more that iTunes does (e.g. support AAC and interface to ipod), as a NetRemote user you really should consider switching or at least trying out the 30 day free trial of MC 10.0.173.

February 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Actually I use MC. Have for years.

The only reason I'm using NetRemote is to control the music on my computer as it plays through my living room stereo. It does this via an Airport Express. Since MC does not yet work with the Airport Express, I'm stuck using iTunes to play music in my living room. Believe me, the moment I can use MC with this setup, I will. I'm not a fan of iTunes.

If I look at your lua file do you think there would be a way to point it to the Playlists in iTunes?

Also, I don't seem to have gotten the default ccf file in my installation and I've reinstalled to no avail. Does anyone know of a way I can get the default ccf file (the one they show in the documentation) separately so I can manually install it?

Joseph S
February 14th, 2005, 03:42 AM
A default .ccf with more functionality is clearly needed for new users. Something that features Cable/Sat, TV/Projector, VHS/DVHS, DVD, Amp, Switchbox, Computer DVD, Computer Music, Mouse Mode at least. Ideally, it would be designed to allow for a simple copy paste in Tonto to add another device/transport panel as needed with standardized playback/record button layout. The current default is seriously lacking in options for control of HT devices. Something along the lines of the "Daniel's Pronto" system files with device and 3 internal pages per device.

iTunes is very limited and tame in functionality compared with MC. Since MC can do everything and more that iTunes does

I'm still waiting for answer in the other thread, but I have to question whether it is really iTunes or rather a fault of the design in NetRemote. If you look at what Salling Clicker does with iTunes, Squeezbox, and other devices clearly there is a way to implement all the functions of JRMC along with browsing and search functions as well without the need to reload the DB every single time.

Rob H
February 14th, 2005, 04:15 AM
That may be the case with the Mac version of iTunes, but does the Windows version provide the same functionality?

February 14th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I asked this above, but I'll ask again --

for whatever reason, there was NO default ccf file in the version of NetRemote I purchased. Can someone send me this file? (the ccf for the PocketPC)

February 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Can you download and install the latest version of NR. It should install the CCF in your documents folder.

February 14th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I can try that. That's the one I downloaded and installed in the first place, but I'll try again. I'm assuming you mean the latest production version (that's what I have), not the pre-release version (not sure where to find that).

Rob H
February 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Try this message for the latest version

February 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks Rob!