PDA

View Full Version : USB-UIRT transmitting IR commands .. what am I missing?

EverLAN
February 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I've just recently purchased a Girder and a USB-UIRTwith the intent of learning more about IR command protocols, etc. Ultimately I'm sure I will find lots of things to use Girder for, it seems to be the swiss-army knife of event management.

Here's my problem: when teaching Girder a new command, pressing the Learn Event button and then a button on the IR remote seems to work OK (i.e. Girder adds a new EventString to the selected command and reports a 12-digit hex code was received from the USB-UIRT driver), but I can't seem to find a way to transmit the same code with the USB-UIRT.

There is a Learn button on the USB-UIRT plugin settings dialog box, but when I press the Learn button and attempt to follow the instructions on the Learn IR Code dialog box I get no response from in the "Signal" indicator and no progress at all in the "Learn Progress" indicator. I get similar response using the Debug IR dialog box.. the USB-UIRT just doesn't seem to see (or maybe properly decode) the IR signal from the remote.

I've also tried pasting the 12-digit hex number (for example: 2308100000E4) from the learned EventString into the "Code 1" field of the USB-UIRT driver settings dialog, but when I Test or otherwise fire-off the command, nothing happens.

I'm trying to control a Motorola DCT2000 cable box, btw.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Rob H
February 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
There is a Learn button on the USB-UIRT plugin settings dialog box, but when I press the Learn button and attempt to follow the instructions on the Learn IR Code dialog box I get no response from in the "Signal" indicator and no progress at all in the "Learn Progress" indicator. I get similar response using the Debug IR dialog box.. the USB-UIRT just doesn't seem to see (or maybe properly decode) the IR signal from the remote.

For some remotes you sometimes have to hold the remote quite close to the USB-UIRT - sometimes less than 1". Don't forget to hold down the button until the progress bar stops moving.

windtrader
February 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
It is possible your remote is sending IR on a frequency that the USB-UIRT is not receiving. There is an option that enables it to receive a wider range of remotes.

In addition to aligning the remote and UIRT you should try to do the programming in low light conditions and not near any florescent lighting..

EverLAN
February 4th, 2005, 10:40 PM
For some remotes you sometimes have to hold the remote quite close to the USB-UIRT - sometimes less than 1". Don't forget to hold down the button until the progress bar stops moving.

Wow thanks! That did it. I was unaware that I had to position the remote very close to learn the IR code in the USB-UIRT driver. I was following the instructions on the dialog very literally, holding the remote about 6" away. After reading your response I was skeptical, but it actually worked!! I'm amazed and have renewed faith in trying the least obvious solution, or the one that is discounted because it just doesn't sound right.. lol

Thanks again !

Rob H
February 5th, 2005, 05:32 AM
When learning the codes from my remotes I found that for some buttons the 6" rule worked fine but not for other buttons on the same remote.

I guess it's possible that there might be other low-level IR sources in the room that interfere when the remote is too far away.