PDA

View Full Version : Mark F! - Logger Feature Request...

danward79
March 20th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Appologies for the cheeky title, but having used the logger a lot, I would like to make some requests!

1. A "Copy all" Button
2. Find function
3. Save to file function

Oh and I beleive someone else would like to request a slightly different default setup of.

Add to bottom by default, lua logging turned off

:D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :P :P :P

What do you think!

Thanks

Rob H
March 20th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I'll second those

Mark F
March 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Hi,

Appologies for the cheeky title, but having used the logger a lot, I would like to make some requests!
I guess you are entitled. ;)

1. A "Copy all" Button
Could it be a "Select All" button instead? Then use the current copy button?

2. Find function
Sorry. Not likely. :(

There are many other programs that you can paste this data into that have search/find capabilities. I'd like to leave this one as the gatherer of data and something else as the processor of data.

3. Save to file function
Instead of copying marked sections to the clipboard or instead of logging to the window? Asked another way, is this a "save as ..." button for the currently marked selection or a different type of logging behavior?

Oh and I beleive someone else would like to request a slightly different default setup of.

:D As you might imagine, this would be pretty easy. What does the second one include? If you take a look at the LUA Configuration dialog and point out which one or ones to un-check, I'd appreciate it.

These requests probably won't get done for a few days as we are preparing to have our house painted, inside and out, all next week and we must finish packing our stuff today. My wife will deal with the painters tomorrow; but, starting Tuesday, I get to sit around and literaly watch paint dry.

I might have time to work on some of this at that point. ;)
(cheeky title -> sarcastic answer :) )

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob H
March 20th, 2005, 06:17 AM
:D As you might imagine, this would be pretty easy. What does the second one include? If you take a look at the LUA Configuration dialog and point out which one or ones to un-check, I'd appreciate it.

Just uncheck the Add LUA (which should really be Lua :) ), but leave the two Usurps checked.

danward79
March 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Quote:
1. A "Copy all" Button

Could it be a "Select All" button instead? Then use the current copy button?

I mean select all so it can be pasted into a txt doc, however a save to file would acheive the same thing.

The currect copy button only copies what you select.

3. Save to file function

Instead of copying marked sections to the clipboard or instead of logging to the window? Asked another way, is this a "save as ..." button for the currently marked selection or a different type of logging behavior?

This would be to save the contents of the window to a txt file for notepad or similar

Thanks!

Mark F
March 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I think I am developing a bit of a disconnect here. :(

The Windows paradigm is to select stuff and then do an action (copy, save, delete, etc.) on that selection. You can currently select one or more lines in the logging window. You can then use the "Copy" button to place them in the clipboard.

I was suggesting a button which selects all of the lines in the logging window. You would still need to press the "Copy" button to place the current selection in the clipboard.

I also was suggesting a "save as ..." button which would save the current selection to a file.

I don't think this is what you are suggesting. I think you are suggesting a button which takes the entire window contents and places it in the clipboard or saves it to a file (in a single step and with no regard to the current selection). Am I interpreting this right?

Sorry, I may be a bit slow right now. :)

Rob H
March 20th, 2005, 08:04 AM
It would also be good if the window supported the standard keyboard shortcuts e.g. Ctrl-A to select all and Ctrl-C to copy.

And perhaps a context menu with the same?

Mark F
March 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure if I can do the short-cut keys but I was planning on looking at the context menu. :)

danward79
March 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I was suggesting a button which selects all of the lines in the logging window. You would still need to press the "Copy" button to place the current selection in the clipboard.

That would be fine

I also was suggesting a "save as ..." button which would save the current selection to a file.

That would be fine, also!

your idea, was better

Mark F
March 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Cool. :)

I'll probably start looking into these Tuesday.

danward79
March 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
thanks

Mark F
March 21st, 2005, 05:16 PM
Here is a preview of a portion of the new Logger readme: (it is a tease)

Use the right mouse button to show the clipboard action menu. The
Menu entries show the keyboard shortcut for each action at the end
of the menu item. If you mark entries in the logging window, you can:
a) copy them to the clipboard using the Copy menu item (Ctrl+C)
b) copy them to the clipboard and remove them from the logging
window using the Cut menu item (Ctrl+X)
c) remove them from the logging window using the Delete menu
item (Delete)
d) copy them to a file using the Save As ... menu item (Ctrl+S)

I hope to have this fully tested by tomorrow afternoon. Please let me know if this is not what you were looking for. :)

The attached file is a screen capture of the UI with the new, right button, context menu.

Rob H
March 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Sounds good Mark.

I won't be able to test it for a while though.

Just had to reinstall XP on a separate disk. I'm so looking forward to reinstalling everything tomorrow, and for the next several days.

danward79
March 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Looks good to me,

Thanks Mark

Mark F
April 8th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I should have responded to this thread a couple of days ago but better late than never. ;)

All of the function mentioned here, except the find/search function, has been implemented and released in Logger v 1.0.12.