PDA

View Full Version : TOUCHSCREEN Recommendations Pleaaase :-D

RS
March 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hi All,

At the moment I am using a IPaq 3630 PPC and/or a Fujitsu 3500 to control NR etc - and it works well BUT both use the tip of the nail OR pen for control.

Now - is anyone using a True Touch Panel which will require no use of a pen but if the CCF is designed with the FINGER in mind :-) can be used with my grubby finger ?

I guess there are two experiences that I'm after :

1) A Touch Panel "Slimline" monitor connected via cable to the HTPC in the cupboard

2) Anything which has wireless and requires no cable - like the viewsonic

What do you use, what size ? how much and where could I get one :-D

Thanks All

Rocky

Mastiff
March 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
On eBay you can get very nice 8" touch screen monitors from the Far East. My father has one without touch screen, and it's very cheap and at the same time very good. I think somebody on the forum bought one of those with touch screen a while ago.

RS
March 21st, 2005, 02:22 PM
Hmmm,

Far East - all i get is Lilliput Touch Screens on ebay - but i have read that they are poor quality. Any chance of any makes/models ?

I will post my finding with links on this thread - I'll try to get prices too !!

Maybe there will be some people out there who will be interested :o

ANYBODY else out there with a TOUCH SCREEEN (I shouted that - lets see if that will get to the NR/Girder Forum Members!) :D

Thanks for the reply Mastiff - Appreciated

Mastiff
March 22nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48609&item=5760352447&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32826&item=5761354839&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

RS
March 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hi Mastiff thanks mate for those links - starting to build up some options now - :D

Check these out - what do you think ? These are ADD-ONS for existing kit. I dont know how practical they will be :-?

http://www.touchscreens.com/products-addon.html

http://www.magictouch.com/addon.html#notebook

17"/15" Touch Screen Monitors:

http://www.dicoll.co.uk/specialoffers.htm

http://www.nemacom.co.uk/touch_screen_monitors.htm (this looked quite good at a glance)

What do you think ?

Mastiff
March 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Expensive! That's what I think. But then I'm cheap... Seriuosly, they look good, but to me they're not worth that price.

ryan74
March 24th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I have just purchased a lilliput 8inch touchscreen and works fine with my grubby fingers. There was some cable problems straight out the box but a scalpel knife to the rear panel fixed that. Its very clear and easy to use and cheap. Much better WAF than my ipaq i use as well.

Promixis
March 24th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I have just purchased a lilliput 8inch touchscreen and works fine with my grubby fingers. There was some cable problems straight out the box but a scalpel knife to the rear panel fixed that. Its very clear and easy to use and cheap. Much better WAF than my ipaq i use as well.

What resolution are you running it at?

RS
March 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Hi Ryan,

I'm interested in exactly how you are using the Lilliput!

1) Is it up on a wall ?
2) Is it hooked up beside you ? so you can touch the screen to switch functions.
3) Do you pick it up ? If so are the cables annoying ?

Anything you researched out there that is Wireless ?

Thanks

ryan74
April 3rd, 2005, 03:03 AM
sorry to take so long to reply but have been away. I am using 800 by 600 resolution with ccfs that suit but now that the latest 1024 by 768 ccf is out i will try that. apparently you can use that reslution on the lilliput but i will try it tomorrow. i find 800 by 600 is perfect especially for my fat fingers.

and RS , i havent wall mounted mine as yet but i feel that is the only way to go or some tupe of solid mounting. the stand supplied does not allow you enough resistance all the time. My cables were dicky from the start and thats why i had to modify so i think the less moving around of the screen the better. Very easy to wall mount has a sturdy bracket on back. I will ve putting one in my speedboat soon too when i have worked out the computer part of it. I have read that they are not great in bright conditions although i havent had trouble./ Now off to try ou 1024 by 768. i

Promixis
April 3rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
I think you will find 1024x768 is too high for the lilliput.

ryan74
April 11th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Mike, finally have the new 1024NRDEMO working and I find it very easy to navigate on the lilliput. It is much better than 800 by 600. I still have a lot of tweaking to go but this is the best setup i have had yet, it is a little harder to use other programs etc if the buttons are small but I just use the supplied pen then otherwise I am loving it. The new 1024 ccf is great when you finally have it setup. for some reason netremote kept crashinf if i deleted one of the drive nos in the gml setup and requires relinstalling twice. maybe a coincidence. anyway, im happy and wife almost with setup. weather is awesome, she likes that the most. thanks ryan

Jlee
April 18th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Is there any such thing as a wireless touchscreen monitor? I have no easy way to connect the monitor to the PC. I want to run NR on a touchscreen (wall mounted or stand) in my kitchen. Anything between 8 & 15 inch would be ideal.

Jesse
April 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM
Is there any such thing as a wireless touchscreen monitor? I have no easy way to connect the monitor to the PC. I want to run NR on a touchscreen (wall mounted or stand) in my kitchen. Anything between 8 & 15 inch would be ideal.

Yes, the Viewsonic V150p airpanel. It will connect to an xp pro machine via RDP and your wireless network. They have a 15" screen and work with just a finger (ie: no pen required). They have been discontinued but can still be found on ebay.

Another option is the ancient ProGear tablet pc. I have one. They are slow, but they will do 1024x768 very nicely and do not require a pen. I find a 15" screen to be kind of big to be portable, so the 10.4" screen of the progear is a nice compromise. They can also be found on ebay. If it is too slow for you then you can always opt for RDP to your server to speed it up.

Note: The airpanel is what is known as a "smart display". In actuallity it is not very smart as it can do nothing by itself. It really is nothing more than a wireless touchscreen monitor.
The progear is a full on windows tablet pc. It can function all on its own.

Hope this helps.

Jesse

Jlee
August 2nd, 2005, 03:11 AM
I've done some searching and seen quite a few USB Touch Screen monitors out there. Hooking up a monitor via a thin usb cable and running it round my room is more desirable than a big thick VGA cable. However, I'll need to run it as a dual monitor so does anyone know if a USB connected device will be seen by Windows as a second monitor?

Rob H
August 2nd, 2005, 03:23 AM
In all the cases I've seen the USB part of a touchscreen monitor is solely for the touchscreen interface - you still need the VGA cable I'm afraid.

Jlee
August 2nd, 2005, 03:39 AM
Sounds worse than I thought. So that means I would need BOTH cables for these touch screen panels to work?

Rob H
August 2nd, 2005, 03:41 AM
Yep, 'fraid so.

Jlee
August 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Well this would be a great solution but it's VERY pricey: Wireless VGA:
http://grandtec.com/wirelessVGA.htm

...so you could buy any touch screen monitor and plug it in anywhere you like. And you can even plug a mouse and keyboard in to the same wireless transmitter. Very cool.

Rob H
August 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
That is pretty expensive.

Jlee
August 3rd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Yep and who knows whether it works as well as claimed?

Maybe the price will come down or it will lead the way to units with built in wireless transmitters. Tablet pc's just look too bulky to me and you've got the issues with battery. I just want a nice small monitor that I can plug in somewhere without running thick cables all the way round the room. You wouldn't think it was too much to ask these days.

Aaron
August 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
as soon as that drops to $99.00 I'm all over it!

Mastiff
August 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Aaron, that has to be with the .44 discount! :lol:

Aaron
August 4th, 2005, 06:08 PM
that is the only way it would be worth it!

Kiosks
May 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM
YOu know must before Selecting a Kiosk Manufacturer ( Instead of asking about the quality of the kiosks in general or the manufacturer’s history, start by asking what kiosks are available that service your specific application (ticketing kiosk, photo booths, information kiosk, DVD vending, etc.). Think about questions that are specific to your business operations and kiosk needs. You’ll want to make sure the company has a solid business reputation before you sign on any dotted lines, but this tactic should create a more efficient process for determining the best kiosk manufacturer for your purposes.)