PDA

View Full Version : USBUIRT/MCE software/Harmony remote

johnm92627
April 19th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Look at the newbie!
I have tried and searched the forums but still can't figure out how to get this set up working.
1. I loaded Girder.
2. I installed the MCE and USBUIRT plugins. Do I need both?
3. I right clicked in the TREE and added a command and named it MCE.
4. I right clicked again and added a command called "1" and used my Harmony and taught it button "one" for the "event string."
5. I did this again with all the other numbers and some actions.

What do I do after this? Do I go to plug-ins and use the target or settings button to correct action for the button.

Is this the way to do this? Is there any type of HOW TO GUIDE besides "Getting started with Girder?" I have read it and there is no examples for my set up.

It seems like everyone uses Girder so I am sure someone knows. If anyone knows or even has any link or manual to read please let me know.

Thanks, John...

geogecko
April 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Come on "experts," lets help this guy out.

John. It's my understanding that what you need to control MCE is a group. You need a set of "event strings" that will tell girder what to do to MCE when it gets an event string.

Groups are like a set of functions that you want peformed in a certain application. Things such as Play, Pause, Record, Up, Down, Left, Right, 1, 2, 3, etc. would be examples of items in the MCE group.

I am not sure what the MCE plug-in is for exactly. From what I understand, MCE only recognizes the MS IR receiver, so that is why you have to use Girder to be the "middle man."

You will need the plug-in for the USB-UIRT though, and you'll see some options in Girder to enable this plug-in (may not even need to download it, I think it might already be in there, but I'm not sure.)

As you know, I've not tried any of this before, but will within the next couple months, when I have a similar setup to you, only I'll be using SageTV (which, by the way, directly supports the USB-UIRT, so unless you want to control some other apps with your remote, you then don't need Girder).

Good luck. I hope someone with more experience comes along, as they did when I first needed help.

johnm92627
April 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Well on my laptop I try and test everything but my version of Girder has expired. Now I have to test on my HTPC. I would buy it but I have no idea if it will work. HTPCnews.com and the Harmony support team says it works but no one seems to know how it works? Does anyone know?