PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth, PPC and NetRemote

flexi
April 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Hi

My Goal is to use a PPC as remote control together with NETremote, Girder and IRtrans.
I could use WLAN instead of BT but WLAN uses much more power than BT and I currently do not own a WLAN Access Point.

I have successfully setup the BT network. Unfortunately I always have to initiate the connection manually which is very annoying if I want to use the PPC as a remote control.

Now I am trying to configure my PPC to automatically connect via Bluetooth (using the LAN profile) to my PC. So far unfortunately without any success :-(

Does anybody know how to do this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Flexi

Promixis
April 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Flexi, I know other people have tried but I don't think they were successful. Search here...

flexi
April 26th, 2005, 02:06 AM
No luck so far :(
Maybe the next Version of the Pocket PC OS has better support for the BT LAN Profile.

In the mean time I have made some tests with Battery life. A HP h1940 always on with a BT LAN connection can go up to 6 hours without recharging. I think this is enough for me and additionally the remote gets much more responsive (no reconnection of BT and NetRemote Server).

Now, I am going for an always on PocketPC :D
Is anybody else out there doing the same? Any Experience or Tips?

Now I am looking for a Pocket PC with BT which has extraordinary low power consumption and therefore a long battery life. Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Felix

Mastiff
April 26th, 2005, 02:36 AM
I have a tip: Give it up. That's what I did. I have tried with an Ipaq 5450, an PocketLoox and even my Qtek 9090 with WM 2003 SE, and nothing can make BT an option for NetRemote, I'm afraid. You can get a WLAN AP for very little, you only need an old 11 mbit version. It's reliable and has range as well.

flexi
April 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Why should I give it up?

Has anybody bad experience with an always on and always connected iPAQ?
Is the BT performance to slow? I do not plan to download album or DVD covers to the iPAQ, text based play lists are enough.

Thanks!

Mastiff
April 27th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Mostly unreliable. Very unreliable.

ryan74
April 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hello, I use Bt and have never used wlan so cant compare them. I like the BT setup, i have to connect through activesync then leave it on all the time. I have never measured how long the batteries last as i usually have it connected to power regularly. I load all cover art and it seems quick to me, every button press is instant for volume etc and range is great for my house. The bluetooth receiver is the one that came with logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which i use also. My PDA is a ipaq 3870. If i go out of range i have to reconnect though which is quite quick( a few seconds). I also have a touchscreen(lilliput) permanently hooked up as well which is great if the pda is playing up.

flexi
May 2nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Thank you all for your answers!

I think I will try first with BT, since my PocketPC supports both BT & WLAN. If it is not working reliable enough or if the performance of BT is too poor, then I will have to buy a WLAN AP and switch to WLAN.

I will keep you up to date with my findings...

By the way... Does anybody know this little program "ozBT" (http://207.153.195.134/ozbt.html#download)?
Is it worth a try?

Flexi

bonzo206
May 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I have a Ipaq h1940 and want to connect via BT. Unfortunately I havent found out, how to automatically connect to my PC when I turn on my PPC. I have to manually connect via PAN (Network) Mode. This is quite uncomfortable.

I sthere any way to autoconnect after turning on the PPC ?

Thank´s upfront for your support

Bonzo :wink:

Mastiff
May 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Not if you're not using WiFi, I think.

bonzo206
May 11th, 2005, 06:37 AM
mmmhhh...

I have also a gsm mouse for navigation connected to the PPC from time to time and this connection via Bluetooth is automatically established as soon as the navigation program starts.

Bonzo206 :wink: