PDA

View Full Version : GlobalCache Guru's, I Need Your Advice

nickgailloux
April 22nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm still exploring my options for my home theatre set up. Currently I'm using a Sony RM-AV3000 to control my TV, Reciever/Dvd Player, and Xbox. Ultimately, I want to be able to control my devices with my Wi-Fi enabled pocket PC. Unfortunately, my PPC's IR port is not powerful enough to be used as a remote control.

So, I have purchased the USB-UIRT and plan on using that to transmit codes. I'll use my PPC over Wi-Fi to Girder with the httpd plugin, which will in turn send the codes to the UIRT. Should work, no?

But now I'm exploring another, cleaner option. I'm thinking about getting a GlobalCache and connecting directly to that via my PPC and using it to send the codes. After doing some research, I have some unanswered questions about the GlobalCache:

1. Does the GlobalCache come with IR emmitters or do you have to buy them seperately? If so, which ones are good for controlling a wide variety of A/V equipment?

2. I'm most curious about this one. If I have one IR emitter on my GlobalCache, can it be used to send IR signals to multiple devices? Or do I have to have a seperate IR transmitter for each device?

Your help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

PS Anyone have a GlobalCache for sale? Anyone want to buy an RM-AV3000? :D

jameswing
April 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
1) You have to buy them separately. I got mine from SmartHome (ex. #8171S)

2) You can use one IR 'Blaster' to blast a signal to a whole closet full of equipment, or you can use individual emitters stuck on the face of each component.

--Jim

nickgailloux
April 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Jim,

You da man!! Thanks for your help. I've been unable to find a lot of information on the GC-100, so getting questions answered on this forum is extrememly valuable to me.

Do you know of any good resources or info for the GC-100? I'd really like to see what the web interface is like.

Nick

jameswing
April 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM
GC resources:
I really haven't found any other than this forum. As I recall, the web interface is of no use except for initial configuration. I don't think it gives you the ability to enter commands or anything really useful like that. (I could have just forgotten... I'll confirm.) It would be really handy if they added that functionality, but since GC won't even fix their bugs, I doubt they will be adding functionality.

Lua is pretty simple to use, and you can use it to open a socket and send commands to the GC, but the GC will only keep one connection at a time, so if you do that, you cannot also use the IR driver to convert CCF codes and send IR via the GC (as that would be a separate connection). You have to go completely one way or the other, not 'some-of-each'. The good news is that Ben reports that he is planning to make the IR driver work a lot better with the GC soon, so I suspect it will be viable to use it in the near future.

I'll try to take some screen shots of the Web interface tonight after work and post 'em.

--Jim

nickgailloux
April 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hmm.. my initial impression was that you could use the web interface to send commands.. nutz. In that case, dont worry about the screenshots if you havent done them already.

I want to make this system as slim as possible, and having to use a full-fledged computer is something I'm not interested in. I was hoping my PPC would have been able to communicate directly with the GlobalCache and tell it what IR signals to send. Is this possible?

Rob H
April 25th, 2005, 06:18 PM
As I understand it that's what NetRemote does, but there are currently problems with repeating codes (Ben will be addressing these shortly).

jameswing
April 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM
OK. nevermind-ing on the screen shots now that I have confirmed that the web interface is strictly for configuration. You can configure your IP address, serial port settings, and what function each port serves (IR out, or relay). No sending commands via the GC web interface.

The PPC, using NetRemote, does in fact communicate directly with the GC, and tells it what IR signals to send. --The IR driver (running on PPC) converts CCF codes into GC formatted commands and transmits them over your network to the GC. :P

--Jim

nickgailloux
April 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I really cant thank you enough for answering these questions.. its so hard to find resources on the GlobalCache device.

Well in that case, I'm going to do some more reseach on NetRemote, to find out if its got the interface I want.

This part is pretty straight forward, but before I drop $200, just to confirm...

The IR driver (running on PPC) converts CCF codes into GC formatted commands and transmits them over your network to the GC.

That driver is part of the NetRemote software and has absolutely nooooothing to do with my PPC's IR port? Because the whole problem here is that my PPC's IR port dont work.

And also, given that you now know the functionality I want, which version of NetRemote would be the one that works for me?

jameswing
April 26th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Correct - Noooothing at all.

http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote_comparison
=Pro

nickgailloux
April 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM
It looks like Pro is the way to go. I've been playing with the demo of it all day. I've already made pretty much my whole CCF for it using Tonto. :D

I'm wondering though... on my PPC, when I click on a button that I've assigned to send an IR code, the PPC freezes. This is consistant with every other remote software used on my model PPC (HP 6315). And this happens even though when I start the program, it tells me I have the wrong processor type and because of this, my IR port will be disabled. I'm wondering how you tell NetRemote to send the command to the GC-100 rather than out the IR port. Is this a program setting or something I have to set up in my CCF?

Promixis
April 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Its in the Pro guide... I can't remember off the top of my head :x

nickgailloux
April 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Wow, a user's manual, who woulda thought?

Hehe seriously though, I should have looked there first before asking... thanks. That seems to fix the freezing problem which is evidence enough for me to go ahead and order up my GlobalCache as soon as I can work up the guts to drop $200... shouldnt take more than a few hours :)

Promixis
April 26th, 2005, 09:00 PM
:D

BTW, the manual is a work in progress, so if you find any missing info you think should be in there, please let us know ;)