PDA

View Full Version : Which do you suggest, the TIra or the USB-UiRT?Q.for users

nomadik
April 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I am going to be purchacing an IR device soon. Which do you think is better? Mabey some advantages and disadvatages of each? Thanks

blyons
May 13th, 2005, 11:07 PM
(Posting this on both forums, just in case other potential buyers are hunting.)

It is interesting that no one has yet replied to this.

I recently bought a Tira. I was frustrated at the start, because I ordered Girder with Tira, and there was no reference to the Girder order with the shipment. It took 3 emails to get a Girder unlocking key.

Then, I was unable to get it to work with my Toshiba Portege laptop - it would not activate the device in Girder, and Girder was running extremely slow.. So, I came to this forum to see if others have had the same problem. Interestingly, not only did I see that others had the same problem, and that it is known to the manufacturer, but that they no longer seemed to be responding to the questions for several months.

I also noted that there is a known compatibility issue with NVidia chipsets. Perhaps my Toshiba has that, I don't know, but I could find no information saying so. I had recently installed an NVidia video card in my church's computer (the end goal of this project is to control the church video equipment).

So, I figured I was out-of-luck; but I decided to try it anyway. Surprisingly, it works fine at the church! Go figure.

In the intervening time, I ordered a USB-UIRT, which arrived today. It works fine with my Toshiba laptop, successfully controlling my TV, DVD player, VCR & stereo. I do have one unresolved issue at this moment: I cannot get it to successfully emulate my DirecTV receiver/DVR (Hughes brand). However, I am optimistic because there seem to be timely responses in their forum from their web page.

You can make your own informed decisions. You are wise in asking before purchasing!

bl

danward79
May 14th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Hi,

I personnelly use a USB-UIRT, and have absolutely no problems with it. If I had to buy a second one I would go for a USB-UIRT because I know it works.

I cannot pass comment on a tira thou sorry.

nomadik
May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
platinum advice!