View Full Version : Any plugins support more than 5 mouse buttons?

May 17th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I recently bought the bluetooth Logitech MX900, which has 8 buttons and a scroll wheel:
- Left click
- Right click
- Scroll wheel click
- Thumb up
- Thumb down
- Cruise up
- Cruise down
- App switch

John Hind's excellent Mouse 3.0 plugin does not recognize the last three (it sees the cruise up/down as scroll wheel up/down and doesn't see the app switch button at all). Are there any other plugins that I could try? Since several new mice are showing up with more than 5 buttons, would a plugin update be possible? Just curious.

One thing I did try was the HID plugin, but it didn't see any of the mouse events.

May 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM
what i do is set the extra buttons to f13-f24 (this can only be done by manually editing the registry) then setting girder to block those keys using the keyboardex plugin

Robert Marquardt
May 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Windows only supports 5 mouse buttons.
Those extra buttons are handled by the Logitech mouse software.
It installs a special driver for the mouse. The driver has a side exit which is read by the Logitech tray application.
Now the tray application can handle those special button assignments like starting an app etc.

The result is that you may never see those buttons coming from the mouse at all.
Only the tray application may see them and implement the assignment. Usually through keybd_event or mouse_event.

The Kensington mouse software works the same.

May 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Often, these extra buttons can be detected and used by the HID plugin

May 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM
logitech mice dont seem to generate hid events though (nor do their keyboards)

Robert Marquardt
May 19th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Windows opens all mice and keyboards with an exclusive CreateFile call .
No other program can therefore read or write a mosue or keyboard without the aid of a driver.

In fact there is only one mouse and keyboard in Windows.
Both are virtual and the available devices serve as input sensors.

November 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Is there probably a solution in the meantime?

I think about replacing my old Microsoft Explorer Bluetooth Mouse by an Logitech MX900. But if there's still no possibility to use the extra buttons, I'll stay my old mouse.