PDA

View Full Version : SOLD: Neta 980 - 10.4" touchscreen - WindowsCE.net 4.1

Aaron
May 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
SOLD

I'm selling my BARELY USED Futurecom NETA 980. It is in MINT condition!

VERY SWEET unit... check out the specs here:
http://store.futurecomglobal.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A30-NET980-TBLT-703&Category_Code=103

quick specs:
Intel Strong ARM 206MHz and SA1111 chip
128MB and 64MB FlashROM
10.4" TFT

Comes with:
original box, docs
original carry case
original stylus
original docking station (has extra connections for USB, video, kb, mouse)
includes removable screen protector

AND I'll throw in a Netgear wireless card that has all the drivers installed.

it already has GAPI and video player software installed so you can watch movies on it!

Web pages are super fast and runs Netremote without lag.

Works VERY WELL with your finger, no nail poking needed!

It will be plug n' play once you turn it on!

all this for $500 plus shipping. (approx half new cost)

SOLD

Ben S
June 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Aaron -
I'm looking for a touchpad for the kitchen now that my Point 1600 has died. Do you still have this unit? Does it really run NetRemote without lag (as compared to the Simpad)? How long does the battery last while running NetRemote?

You're still using NetRemote, just not on this device, right?

Thanks Aaron!
-Ben

Aaron
June 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Ben,
I'm changing my system considerable. I'm going to be picking up a pocketPC in a trade to use with Netremote. I was using this in my livingroom but I'm putting a HTPC there with a touchscreen built into the coffee table. MUCH more $ but what the heck, right, you only go broke once... hmmmm :o

I do have the latest version of NR installed on the Neta and it does work without lag. This is why I sold my SimPad and got the Neta. I was able to test the Neta before I bought it to ensure it would run Netremote and run a DIVX view to watch movies.
You can even stream movies to it is you have a wired connection, wireless it to slow for any decent screen size or bit rate.

Anyway. If you want it let me know, all the original box, accessories, etc. very good condition, looks basically new.

Battery life is good. better then the SimPad, not as good as a pocketPC, of course, but a PPC does not have a 10.4" screen either. :D

It is sweet, you'll love it.

MikeSM
July 1st, 2005, 11:00 PM
Other users here have reported the NETA 980 as having significant speed problems. (See some of talm's posts). Did a recent software release fix this? Also, did you use it's builtin IR function? Did it work with reasonable range in NetRemote?

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron
July 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
It depends on how you have your CCF setup. My CCF is probably the largest in the community... 4MB due to being the most PNG graphic intensive. It take 2-3 seconds to complete a screen jump. Redraws are approx 1 second. Sending IR is instant, no delay.

If I run a more basic CCF, like the default, it is MUCH faster.

My feeling is that the performace will be improved after Ben focuses on optimizing NR. Being that the same "issues" have been seen on the Viewsonic with a 400MHz processor, it is likely not a speed/processor issue and more the way NR does things with CE.

Hopefully Ben wil get to that soon after the Designer is solid.

talm
July 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Sorry to jump on this thread but I want to clarify about the NETA 980.
I first want to say that the NETA screen is one of the nicest screens that I used. As Aaron said, it is sending the command instantly but the screen redraw is kind of slow. I did find out that it is also kind of slow on a PPC with a 624mhz (Dell Axim). I am just picky since I use my NETA with LDJ and I like to have large covers on the screen.

I really like the NETA and I have been using it as my main NR music controller mount to the wall. For my theater room, I just ended up going with a dedicated computer with a nice ELO screen (but cost allot more money).

I hope that I clarified what I think about the NETA 980.

Tal

MikeSM
July 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks. Can anyone comment about the buil-in IR in the Neta 980? Is it usuable to send remote control commands at a decent range, or do I have to do all IR commands through a netremote IR server?

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron
July 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
I've never used it... much better to just get a USB UIRT and use that. No reliability issues and works with ANY device you use ;)

MikeSM
July 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
I've never used it... much better to just get a USB UIRT and use that. No reliability issues and works with ANY device you use ;)

Well, I have a TV with an IR sensor buried in the screen, so the only way to control is by IR sent directly from a remote, since I don't want an emitter stuck on the screen. Hence my need for reasonbly good direct IR functions. For everything else I agree, the USB-UIRT is great, though you still have to deal with Wi-fi connect time when coming back from standby. Not the NETA's fault, but still have to deal with WAF issues.

How long does it take for your NETA to get IP connectivity after resuming from standby?

Right now, without a good direct IR solution, I'm thinking of just breaking down and getting a harmony, and then doing IR translation and control with girder rather than netremote. I lose so much going down that route though.

Also, did you manage to map the NETA's hard buttons into netremote functions? All these wince devices seem to be hit or miss on this sort of thing...

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron
July 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I have a USB-UIRT on a shelf so the IR emillters hit the TV and all my equipment. You just need to get a little creative with its placement. You would not need the emmiter on the screen, just aim it towards the screen from a point on the unit or a wall or something.. again, creativity is the key.

I don't use my Neta and NR anymore... I had it all working just fine.

approx 3 seconds for the wireless to reconnect.

MikeSM
July 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
I have a USB-UIRT on a shelf so the IR emillters hit the TV and all my equipment. You just need to get a little creative with its placement. You would not need the emmiter on the screen, just aim it towards the screen from a point on the unit or a wall or something.. again, creativity is the key.

I don't use my Neta and NR anymore... I had it all working just fine.

approx 3 seconds for the wireless to reconnect.

Thanks for the info. I have a IR sensor on top of the TV so your approach would generate a feedback loop in my system.

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron
July 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
don't see how it would unless you are looping it back into the TV?

I also have an IR receiver on the TV that feed my AV rack...

NR ---wireless---> USB-UIRT ---ir ---> TV
________________________\----> IR Receiver --emitters-> AV rack

(forget the underscores, had to for leveling the diagram)

pretty simple really.

the benefit of this is that anything that is connected or communicates with my PC that has the USB-UIRT can send IR commands. This way, if I change my system around, not a biggie.

I run Homeseer, as do many others on this board, so it can send IR too!

MikeSM
July 3rd, 2005, 07:53 PM
don't see how it would unless you are looping it back into the TV?

I also have an IR receiver on the TV that feed my AV rack...

NR ---wireless---> USB-UIRT ---ir sent---> TV
\----> IR Receiver --emitters-> AV rack

pretty simple really.

the benefit of this is that anything that is connected or communicates with my PC that has the USB-UIRT can send IR commands. This way, if I change my system around, not a biggie.

I run Homeseer, as do many others on this board, so it can send IR too!

I run Homeseer too, and netremote intregation with it was another plus...

I think I see what you are saying - you don't have the USB-UIRT send IR commands directly to the A/V rack emitters, you just blink it into the room, and depend on the IR receiver to pick it up and distribute it to the emitters in the rack. Interesting idea.

I was thinking of having the USB-UIRT transmit directly into the IR network in the house, which I think is probably more reliable, but in my approach, that IR transmission would then be picked up by the IR reciever in the room if an emitter were placed so that it could hit the TV set (my IR reciever is on top of the TV) and then retransmitted into the room, picked up again, etc...

Interesting idea - don't tie the USB-UIRT into the IR network directly, but only through an existing IR reciever. I gather the A/V rack emitters would also transmit to the USB-UIRT input?

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron
July 3rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
you got it...

the UIRT only receives commands via the PC. It only sends IR

It has been VERY reliable (ie. never misses) since the UIRT is aimed towards the wall with the IR receiver (for the AV rack) and the TV. It basically blankets the wall/room with IR. Just make sure your rack does not get the signals. My rack is in the same room but off to the side... not even any doors and it never gets stray signals.

Aaron
July 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM
SOLD