View Full Version : Help urgently needed on IR... I'm close to giving up

June 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Ok, background, I've been happily developing CCFs for a couple of years, initially on an old IPAQ with PDAWin and an Electric Dog extender. No problems, really thought I had it sussed. Then the IPAQ dies, and at pretty much the same time NetRemote IR is launched. I replace the IPAQ with a Dell Axim x50v and buy Netremote. I remodel my CCF to use the better screen, and most things work very well, EXCEPT, I can't get the volume up and down to work. As this is pretty much the most used function of a remote, I (and my wife... ) am not impressed.

A bit more detail. The amp is a Harman Kardon 4500. It's controlled via a Xantech extender, but I've pretty much ruled that bit out as I get the same problem when going through the exztender as I doi 3ft in front of the amp! The Axim is sending the code, but the amp is receiving it only intermittantly.

To rule out complexity issues with my main CCF, I've got the worlds simplest test CCF (I know someone is going to challenge that statement!). One button to learn the code from the remote. A second button to send the learned code three times. I'm on the very latest versions of NetremoteIR, PocketPC and Axim firmware

Pressing the send button I get three audible blips. Sometimes the amp responds, sometimes not. Sometimes it appears to receive one command, sometimes 3. At best, the volume goes up three steps, as it should do. Sometimes, it does nothing.

I've been stuck in this spot for three months. I keep coming back to the problem but seem to end up at the same position, so I'm appealing for whatever advice/support I can get.

There would seem to be several possibilities;

1. The amp is broken, but it behaves normally with it's own remote
2. The Axim is broken, but it controls other devices
3. NetmoteIR is broken, but as per option 2
4. The IR range (wavelength/frequency, not physical distance) of the x50v is not compatible with the HK amp...
5. I've not captured the correct IR command structure. I've seen elsewhere that HK gear is "tricky"

There may well be others, but thats my first analysis. I hope it's 5 and I can find a way around it. If it's 4 look out on ebay for an x50v going cheap.

Anyone else seen anything similar? Anyone got any tips for how I take the problem analysis further? Just generally ....... H E L P

Many thanks in anticipation.

June 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I think its the HK. This use an odd ball frequency. Did you learn the codes with NR?

June 17th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Most recent attempt used IR learned via NetRemote. Earlier attempts were based on old CCF which had "new" NetRemote learned IR and the old PDAWin learned code.

If it is the HK, is the compatibility problem with the Axim or NetRemote?

I'm going to try PDAWin with and without the Electric Dod IR extender on the Axim to see what happens. I'm sure I must have done this in the past but I can't remember what the results were. I'm not even sure if the extender is still working.

June 17th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Quick test with PDAWin was inconclusive, it didn't work at all. hinking back I remember having to relearn the IR codes on the Dell. I'll try thta tonight.

One thing that does seem strange was how slow the IR repeat is. My CCF has a number of macros awith 5-6 commands. On the Dell, I can see each one being transmitted, and it's very slow. On the Ipaq the "burst rate" seemed much faster. Any ideas what might be causing this, i thought I was buying a "faster" PPC!!!!

June 17th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Have tried to cut and paste some HK codes off of remotecentral?

June 17th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I'll try that as well. Thanks for the qiuick responses. I've wandered over to the Aximsite forum to attack the problem from the hardware end as well. Very mixed experiences with the x50v and remote control, and very little mention of NetRemote.

August 22nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Have you solved your problem? I'm experiencing same thing with my Axim X3 and Harman Kardon AVR 5500.