PDA

View Full Version : zigbee IR distribution

Matt Webster
June 18th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Is anyone aware of any IR products utilizing this technology? I'm investigating it for work & it seems well suited. For example, a zigbee node that talks to the pc & to other nodes that control devices & receive commands. I'm lucking enough to have the wires in the walls for ir distribution, but a wireless solution would greatly simplify zoning. Would a product like this be desirable?

Matt

Matt Webster
June 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM
First products I've seen are at http://control4.com/.

Matt Webster
August 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Here's some prices I got off of the avsforum for the control4 stuff:

1 - Media Controller - $1,500
1 - Multi Tuner with XM (3 Sources) - $800
1 - Multi Channel Amplifier (8 Zones Built In) - $2,000
6 - 4" Color Touch Screen (In-Wall with PoE added) - $4,500 ($750 each)
1 - 10.5" Wireless Color Touchscreen with Docking Station - $2,300

There aiming at the upper middle income market. And I thought I was upper middle income. :wink:

Matt Webster
August 22nd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Just got my microchip zigbee kit. I've successfully sent messages from one side of my house to the other. With my lack of free time it will take a long time, but I plan nodes for at least:
coordinator with ir learning & pc interface
video router/buffer
digital/analog io
temperature sensing
serial control

My next steps are:
Learning the wonderful microchip development tools better.
Developing some test micro code.
RFD & Coordinator board design & layout.
& then the hard work starts.

All of this hinges on the stability of the free stack from microchip & some undefined bugs being resolved with the compatible transceiver.

Although there doesn't seem to be any interest, I'll update here from time to time. I'd hate to duplicate efforts & would prefer to collaborate. Despite inevitable unforeseen problems, I see enough value to give it a try & am looking forward to the learning experience.

Promixis
August 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Keep letting us know... it sounds interesting ;)

Kerryp24
November 8th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Matt

How goes your testing?

Just figured I'd ask since it has been a few months. :wink:

BTW, what was the cost of the microchip dev kit?

Kerry

Matt Webster
November 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Kerry,

Since I last posted, I moved a bit forward with zigbee & then reailzed it is not a good solution for me. I switched to Insteon & just received their hardware developer's kit yesterday. I'm still waiting on the software developer's kit.

Reasons I dumped zigbee:

The complexities of the binding process.
I didn't feel that I could develop something that would be as reliable as needed using zigbee.
All I want is a wireless low speed data channel. I'd prefer to spend time making fun projects for my home, not learning zigbee.
Insteon seems to be a much better fit for me. I think it will be less complex & I can use the power line carrier communication for added reliability.

For what it's worth, I think we'll end up with at least a couple of wireless low speed data networks. I'd guess something like zigbee that has wide industry support & something like Insteon or UPB or Zwave...

I'll post after I get my insteon project moving. Thanks for your interest.

The cost of the zigbee kit is $200 from microchip. If you get one, be sure to check out the on-line developers forum.