PDA

View Full Version : *BORROW* a serial cable for Simpad? (Anyone in San Diego?)

Donny Bahama
June 24th, 2005, 11:17 PM
The Simpad I bought didn't come with a serial cable. I'm comfortable fab'ing one, but not sure what connector I need on the Simpad end (and where to get it.)

It's been suggested that this might work: http://www.tangshop.com/datcabforsie.html
Can anyone confirm that? If so, should it work right out of the box? Or will I need to change the pinout? (If I need to change the pinout, that's fine - I have the necessary diagram - I'd just like to confirm - before I buy it - that this cable gets me the right connector (on the Simpad end.)

TIA!

Mastiff
June 25th, 2005, 02:37 AM
You can use a regular USB cable (of the type with a smaller, square connector in one end) on that one. I do. You do need the driver, but I'm pretty sure I've got it somewhere. If you don't find it on Google, I'll send it to you.

Donny Bahama
June 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Mastiff. Just to clarify, my Simpad still has the old OS, just the way they came from the factory. You're telling me there's a USB driver for HPC2000? And hyperterminal will work over USB (so I can upgrade the OS to CE 4.1)? If so, my googling has been fruitless so far, so I hope you can find it & send it to me.

Mastiff
June 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
That one I'm not sure about, actually I got mine upgraded, but the USB cable worked at once. PM me your e-mail, and I'll mail you the files.

Mastiff
June 26th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I found the file, and it was so small that I just attach it here (and in a PM for you as well). Maybe others can find some use for it as well.