View Full Version : Help picking cheap PDA for NetRemote Pro

June 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I was pretty much settled on getting a Dell Axim X5 until I read in the IR sticky thread that the IR works pretty well on the Dell Axims, EXCEPT the X5! :-(

I need something cheap (less than $150 USD).

I want to use this for wi-fi access and for A/V control (universal/learning remote). Don't really care about the actual PIM applications!

So, what are my choices? Seems like the X30 & x50 are too expensive for me. Maybe if I were going to uyse the other features, but I won't.

Will the Axim X3 work, or does that suffer from the same problems as the X5?

What else can I do to improve the X5's IR range? If at all possible I want to avoid using the PDS to send signals to a PC that then resends them out to the AV gear to control them. My media Center PC is nto always on when I want to control devices. I need something not necessarily tied to a PC for improving the IR capabilities.

Is it possible to have both an IR & a wi-fi card in the X5 at the same time? Which ones would NetRemote Pro support?

Thanks for your help!

June 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Seems I can get the 3xxMHz version of the Axim X30 for around the same price as the 400MHz version of the X5 & X3.

Is the X30 a better choice? The specs all look pretty similar...

June 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM
AFAIK, the x3 should work just fine for IR. I no longer have mine but it did work fine when we were initially testing. And its plenty fast enough for NR.

June 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'm going to try to either get an x3 w/ a wi-fi card, or an x3i (IR & wi-fi built in), unless the x3i is lacking in the IR dept compared to the x3? My understanding is that the x3 has slightly better IR than the x30, so I'm not sure if the x3i has the x3 IR or the x3o...