PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver/Squeezebox2 integration?

sailfish
July 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Is there any way to use NetRemote to control Slimserver/Squeezebox2? This seems to be the best of the "MP3" or media players out there, full support for FLAC, etc, so I would like to use this as my media server. Slimserver has a full, open API, but I was wondering if there is any plug-in etc for Slimserver.

PS the next rev of slimserver/squeezebox2 firmware will allow IR output via squeezebox, so it can be controlled via network as an IR blaseter in your system.

GreasyWeasel
August 15th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I use slimserver and a squeezebox too. One thought I've just had is that there is a ppc web page that can be added to slimserver. If you do this then embed a browser in your Netremote you could then control your squeezebox. I've used the ppc web page for control before but I haven't tried it with Netremote because I'm very new to it but from what I've read on these forums it appears to be quite easy to embed a brower window.

On a side note where did you find out about the IR blaster thing and Squeezebox2?

sailfish
August 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
the headphone jack supports IR blasting - they were revising the firmware to support this the last time I checked

yes, I think you could use their web UI with net remote, but it wouldn't be properly integrated or very slick. the right way is support in MediaBridge.

I actually returned my squeezebox and switched to iTunes losslesss with one of those AirTunes devices - the UI is MUCH MUCH slicker this way.

tmorten
November 15th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I've been doing some research on distributing audio to multiple zones, while maintaining centralized server control. JRMC does this well, as long as you're willing to run audio cable to each zone (Mastiff and others have some sweet set-ups along these lines).

I'd like to avoid cabling and use wireless upnp devices, but unfortunately JRMC doesn't support pushing content to them (you can pull content, but this has to be initiated from the devices rather than from JRMC).

SlimServer as I understand it, supports pushing content to upnp devices -- this would facilitate centralized control via NetRemote. Could MediaBridge be extended to support SlimServer? What would we have to send Ben for Christmas to incentivize him?

SlimServer is here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html