PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my project

Hunter
July 20th, 2005, 03:07 PM
My mother owns a dance studio.
I built a music server and digitized the music.
I installed J River media center.
This was integrated into her sound system. So far everything has gone as planned, now on to the rest.
She has 2 other rooms that I want to enable access to the music server (this is why I picked Jriver)
I had planned to use pocket pc but I think the screen is to small and just doesn't fit the need. So I decided to use a Dell Slim PC (450-500 mhz, 256 mb ram w a wireless access point) and a 7 to 15 inch touch screen monitor. The sound system in the studio already has a denon 3 zone receiver (never used a multizone receiver but I am guessing that it can output a completely different sound and volume output to each zone, am I wrong??)
Now to my question:
1. Will net remote music run on a win xp pro desktop?
2. I am figuring the a 450-500 mhz cpu will be plenty.

Thanks for the info. I also welcome any feed back as to what you think about the project

Ben S
July 20th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Hunter -
The PC itself will be fine. NetRemote will run great on it.

However the 3 zone amp - If I were to guess, I would guess that it's not 3 amplified zones, but 1 amplified and 2 unamplified zones (that's just a guess).

Is it a 6.1 receiver, though? You could run each zone into 2 of the channels, but you wouldn't be able to control the volume independently, however you could do this in software using the PC.

Does the PC have a multichannel sound card or 3 sound cards?

Hunter
July 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
This is an analog denon multi zone DRA395. This is the important part (a multi zone receiver that has the capability of independent volume level on each zone).

Once I have that then my plan is to set the amp to a loud volume level the reduce the level via the computer (not sure this will work but though I could give it a go).

If that doesn't work then I would need to move to something that could control the receiver. This might be where girder comes to play (I don't know anything about girder). Because the ideal type of control would:

An IR blaster coming off the server (to control the receiver). The client has a macro funtion on the touch screen that would auto select the appropriate zone (via tcp/IP) and turn the volume up or down. Now I don't know if this is possible, this is right off the top of my brain.
What do you think, would this be possible??

Thanks for the response