PDA

View Full Version : Lock Workstation ( CTRL-ALT-DELETE)

Ron
October 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM
How to lock the workstation, tested with win2k.

* Choose Execute Actions on the OS tab
* In the file box type "%WINDOWS%system32rundll32.exe"
* In the stepsize box type "user32.dll,LockWorkStation"
* Press apply et voila.

ps. Don't type the quotes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RonB on 2002-03-12 14:58 ]</font>

Ron
You are right ( corrected the example above ) but i think that %WINDOWS% adds its own slash, so that is optional. Thanks for the correction.

Ron
No :smile: Girder replaces %WINDOWS%

Ron
Girder does this with :

%MYPICTURES%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%MYDOCUMENTS%
%APPDATA%
%SYSTEM%
%WINDOWS%
%DESKTOP%

On any OS. ( some dirs might not exists on early oss )

mitko
I think there should be some BackSlashes between %WINDOWS% and system32 and between system32 and rundll32.exe
s.th. like this
"%WINDOWS%system32rundll32.exe"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mitko on 2002-03-12 14:26 ]</font>

mitko
just tested it on WinXP there is no %WINDOWS% global variable. It works with %SystemRoot%
Are you using win2000?

mitko
aha I remember. There was a converstaion about this in the forum a while ago

haven't tested it in Girder only in command window
Bad mitko, bad!
:smile:

Speed Demon
I am wondering if it is possible to have Girder type in the WinXP lock screen my password after hitting one button on my remote. There is no way to drag the target selector to a locked screen so I am clueless. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation. Thanks.

SD

ClowN
October 24th, 2002, 06:30 AM
heh your still missing a slash

%WINDOWS%system32\rundll32.exe

tested on win xp pro...need the slash

DJ Zany
May 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Anyone know how to unlock workstation?

Is this even possible with the Windows security model?

thracx
October 20th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Thank you very much RonB. I was looking for those strings..

touki
November 25th, 2003, 10:13 AM
yes i would really like to have someone make a command that allows the password box to be filled and ok hit.

this would be possible as i can still turn my screen on and off when locked.

doom
November 30th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone,

This thread by RonB suggests a way to lock the computer, with the press of a single button. And it works on my Win2K Pro (i did have to put the slashes).

There is one problem, after you lock your computer, how do you unlock it?

I tried binding a "CTRL ALT DELETE" sequence but it doesnt work. It doesnt work to lock and it doesnt work to unlock :(

I also noticed that you cant paste anything at all on the "Unlock Computer" dialog box, the one where you type Username and Password.

Here's what i had in mind:
- One button to simulate CTRL ALT DEL
- One button to simulate ENTER
- One button to type a sentence (your password)

Want to lock the computer ?
A: Just Press CTRL ALT DEL followed by ENTER button

Want to unlock the computer?
A: Press CTRL ALT DEL followed by ENTER followed by Password button.

Selyb
November 30th, 2003, 11:36 PM
when i lock the workstation from winxp pro it goes to the logon screen
i tried to capture the caption of the topmost window and a blank string turned up
to unlock it i just clicked the name i was already logged in under and re-entered the password

while doing that test i found out something interesting
if girder is running under the system account then any programs it starts are also under the system account
so if you want girder running when the logon screen comes up you can use srvany.exe and run it as a service or autoexnt (two different ways to accomplish the same thing)
girder should be able to accept events but i couldnt get the gui to show
i didnt test sending events or using an always on top flag

mellbratt
December 1st, 2003, 10:00 AM
Don't know if this helps you, but Microsoft PowerToy TweakUi has an autologin feature. See this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp). (There are other versions for W2K 95 98 etc. This one for XP requires SP1)

Not very useful if you need to switch users, but useful if you just want a smooth startup.

Wagner
January 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM
Don't know if this helps you, but Microsoft PowerToy TweakUi has an autologin feature.

Windows NT/2000/XP has auto-login built in. In NT/2000, just go to the "Users and Passwords" settings in the control panel. In XP, open the run dialog and type "control userpasswords2". Then just uncheck the box at the top of the settings panel. It will ask you for a username and password to login as default.

AndreasK
March 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Don't know if this helps you, but Microsoft PowerToy TweakUi has an autologin feature. See this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp). (There are other versions for W2K 95 98 etc. This one for XP requires SP1)

Not very useful if you need to switch users, but useful if you just want a smooth startup.

Yes, sure, you only need entry name and password to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon.
Switching users is possible, by same way over logon screen. It is also possible to have disabled winlogon or use minlogon at all, but there is some problems with features which needs that (not on my HTPC, but for example applications using COM - you have to edit it manualy).