View Full Version : Best Pocket PC for IR?

August 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I know this is addressed (sort of) in other threads, but it seems that actual performance has not been catalogued much, for an easy comparison to be made. What I am looking for is a PPC to install Netremote Pro IR on so that I can use it to control AV initially using IR, and then, when HTPC is up and running establish a separate set of controls to be able to control the entire system from the PC, via NR and Girder (I assume), using wireless commands and IR repeaters. This way I can toggle between 2 sets of screens with PC on or off, and still control the AV.

So - I need a PPC which has good IR range, hopefully not so directionally dependent, with good battery life, as well as wireless inbuilt, and a good screen and processor to be able to handle a good looking, graphics intensive display.

I see the Dell X50 seems to get good feedback, so maybe we can start here:

Dell Axim x50
Furthest reliable range: xx m
Directional: straight on only/+ or - 20 degrees/+ or - 45 degrees/all over the shop? (Delete as applicable)
Typical (user experience) battery life during normal TV watching (ie: channel surfing, chapter seek, settle down to watch, pause occasionally, volume up/down etc as you would during a normal sit down and watch session): xx hrs
Other comments: such as IR range sucks after battery shows less than 50% full, make sure the processr is forced highest speed setting etc.

So on and so forth. If people can add - I can paste them into this message so we can establish a single point of reference.

Anyone else interested in supporting this?

September 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Did you ever get an answer? I dont see one :( I am going to buy a new PDA and need to know which one

September 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I like the x50 with ppc 2003 but 2003 se edition is causing problems with ir install as you can see on the other forums.

The x30 is also excellent ir. Or even the x3. Not the x5

September 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Well : ) I also have a Dell Centrino laptop that I can use. I think I would start off by using it first (then I dont have to shell out any more cash for a new PPC) But I am still interested in buying the *right* Pocket PC. Dell Axim seem to be fairly priced.

I just dont want to buy into a big headache. I will spend more money if it means it will work smoothly.

I should have my USB-UINT soon...tommorrow? And then I will be doing a lot of reading here on the forum to figure out how to set all this stuff up. I am very excited about making all my *stuff* work remotely

I want to control all my A/V equipment: RCA receiver, VHS, DVD player, and control my Windows XP machine which has zoom player, win amp etc... all loaded on it. And control my Lutron remote lights, And I am also really wanting to control X10 devices with Netremote and Girder. Basically everything I can.

It seems like it might all be possible : ) we shall see.

September 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM
and we will help you to get there ;)

September 27th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I feel like this one of the geekiest, funnest hobbies I have attempted anytime in past few year. I cant wait to get there.

This is how I see part of my initial system working. Is this right?

The client machine has following DNA:
Dell Laptop (w/ wifi enabled)
Windows XP Pro
NetRemote Win32 client

The Media Server has following DNA:
Running XP Pro SP2 etc
Some HTPC software: GB-PVR, Meedio, whatever
MediaBridge Software
TV Tuner card (dont know which yet)

For starters... here are my goals :)
1. So the laptop will talk to the Media pc using its Wifi card, over a tcpip connection, and will be speaking to the IRServer daemon running on the Media PC. Then the MediaBridge software will be used to control the ZoomPlayer, Winamp, And other software on the Media Server

2. Also, I want to have the Dell laptop using Netremote to turn on and off various a/v equipment, Lutron remote lights, projector on/off switch, consumer dvd player, VHS machine

3. And lastly, it would be REALLLLLY nice if I could use Laptop+Netremote to control the DISH Network receiver to change channels. And I want to record content from the satellite video output(s) into some type of an TV Tuner PCI card in my media PC.

Does all that sounds *do-able* or am I living in a fantasy world :)

September 27th, 2005, 08:06 PM
1,2,3 and doable.

2 will require some work using the lutron serial protocol to talk to the lighting. AFAIK the protocol is pretty basic but we have implemented it yet.

September 27th, 2005, 08:51 PM
hmmm...right now I have a Home theater master 500 MX (think thats the right model) and it controls the lights...does that mean anything to you?

September 27th, 2005, 09:20 PM
ah, you mean by IR.... I was thinking serial!

IR should work :roll:

September 28th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Yeah, its using IR. It came with a white remote...which I learned into the Theater Master 500 MX. Works just fine. So hopefully I will be able to program it also....

PS I see that Dell is selling new Axim x51 for 299$ for the basic model. And you were saying you thought those would work well with NetRemote and Girder?

I have been reading stuff all night about different Pocket PC's uuugh

September 28th, 2005, 09:29 AM
we have not tried the new x51 with windows mobile 2005.

September 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I *think* the current axim's are shipping with version 2003 SE, with the cd to upgrade. But I am not 100% sure about that. I thought I remember reading that on DELLs website.