View Full Version : WISHLIST: PDA with remote-control hard buttons

September 14th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I'm a huge proponent of customizable "soft" interfaces... I loved my Pronto, and now I'm loving NetRemote.

That said, it would be wonderful to have a PDA with more specific hard-buttons (somewhat like the new Prontos, but able to run NR). Why? It's easier to do things 'by feel' with hard buttons, and it would free up screen real-estate.

Here are a couple of forth-coming device (aimed at retail) along these lines:

These devices aren't ideal for home theater however. The direct number pad might be useful for entering channels, and the dedicated cursor contol (up, down, left, right, enter) could be handy for a number of devices, but I would also like dedicated volume and mute, dedicated channel changing, and dedicated transport control (skip back, rewind, play pause, stop, fast forward, skip forward).

Arguably, some of these could be mapped to extra buttons on retail-oriented PDA's like ones I listed, but why isn't some manufacturer out there making a device aimed at home theater control? The Logitech and Phillips devices are neat, but we all know that they don't begin to compete with the functionality of NetRemote. Let's see a PDA aimed at home theater control!

Ben, have you approached any manufacturers? Does anyone out there have contacts with a PDA manufacturer who might be interested? This seems like a natural synergy... if there's enough of a business model to support devices like the Pronto, there MUST be demand for a generic PDA like this. I can imagine a NetRemote bundle deal here... (and perhaps a GlobalCache bundle deal as well).

- Tim

September 15th, 2005, 04:12 AM
I'm getting this one as soon as it's out: http://www.mpx.no/aspx/prdinfo.aspx?plid=55596 It has a full keyboard, so there should be enough keys. You just design the NR interface sideways. Normally the keyboard is hidden, and when you slide it out, the screen goes to landscape mode. Oh, and it's also a phone...

October 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I just bought NetRemote Pro to control a HTPC I'm about to build using my Pocket PC (Orange SPV M1000) and I've started to design my own CCF/skin. After careful thought, I decided it would be good to use the hardware buttons on the PPC, but after reading the manual and "How To" PDFs, it looked like it couldn't be done. This thread makes me think others have had the same idea! :(

I assume it would need a change to the actual NetRemote exe on the PPC. Is there any other way to acheive the result? What are the chances of this feature being added to NetRemote? (I can write my own software for PPC using Visual Basic and an addon SDK).

I hope this can be done, and it looks like it's going to be in more demand as time goes on! :wink:

October 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
OK, I'm slightly confused. Don't you mean mapping buttons? If you open NetRemote and choose Properties and the page Hotkeys, you can map a lot of buttons. Isn't that what you're looking for?

October 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
This one (Motorola HC700) might be my new ultimate:

November 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Even better (less clutter, dedicated transport buttons):

January 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM

have you received your Qtek 9100 and an you really map the keyboard the same way we can map had buttons?