PDA

View Full Version : Kameleon "One For All" Remote Control or NOT?

michael-tech
September 17th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I'm new. Be nice.

1) I own the (Radio Shack) One For All Kameleon 8-device Universal Remote (URC-9960b01).

When I remove the battery cover, I can plainly see an exposed circuit board labled JP1 with two rows of exposed metal contacts (5 round, 1 square).

Just getting my feet wet with Girder conceptually, and didn't see this device listed in the hardware section, but assuming I could buy whatever connectors, or wires to access this JP1 board in the remote - would the Girder Software be compatible with programming and customizing this remote? I'm tech savvy, but this (if possible) seems a bit too delicate, and time consuming for me. I was just intrigued how accessible those jp1 contacts were next to the batteries. It seems placed there for easy access by design.

2) Assuming the above project isn't possible, or involves sodering and microscopes - I'd like to use my Desktop PC as my new "universal remote". Looking for an all in one solution. This is to control home electronics (tivo, tv, stereo, dvd player, etc...) NOT to control functions on my computer. I've seen the USB-UIRT box at

http://www.usbuirt.com/order.htm (confused about the 56KHz IR Sensor option)

Am I correct in thinking I plug this box into my usb port. I install Girder software. I download specific plugins which are meant for that specific usb-uirt box and I can now use software on my xp machine to send out remote commands to my devices? I'll assume I don't need to teach each command from my old remotes, but rather download a command database to use through a graphical interface.

Am I on the right track? Comments? Suggestions? Horror stories?

-michael
(girder virgin)

Promixis
September 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yes, you got it. The usb uirt is a great device and will do that.

michael-tech
September 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the input. Girder looks to be quite the monster to tackle - which I'm up for like any other techie. Just curious if it is the only software which can can do this, or if there might be other, more automated choices out there.