PDA

View Full Version : NetRemote on Nevo SL?

bjgibbs
October 15th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Has anyone tried running NetRemote on a Nevo SL yet?

www.mynevo.com

and

http://www.mynevo.com/images/uploaded_images/NevoSLProductSheet.pdf

It runs Windows CE.NET 4.2.

Looks like the perfect mix of touchpanel and hard buttons, to me...

Ben S
November 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Agreed, but it doesn't look like it will run WinCE software other than it's own.

i2ben
August 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
You can go here for the beginning of my test:
http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12710&highlight=nevo

Promixis
August 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
wow, if you got that working that woud be sweet.

i2ben
August 4th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Here is a picture of my nevosl.

Ben S
August 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Wow! Too cool! Are you able to map all of the hardkeys properly?

How much is the NevoSL selling for, nowadays. That would be a slick addition to _my_ theater. :)

Also, does our IR support work for the Nevo IR port. If so, how is the distance?

tmorten
August 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM
After reading this thread, I ordered a NevoSL on eBay for $420. I''ll let you know how installation goes...

Ben - Any chance we can get support for some more hard keys? In addition to what NR already has, there's a page up/page down key, a scroll up/down switch on the side, a keyboard button on the side, and a return to channel button. I'd love to take advantage of these if possible.

Just from looking at the specs, the pros/cons seem to be -

In favor of my existing Dell PDA:
x51v has better resolution (480x640 vs 240x320)
x51v has a user-changeable battery (Nevo has to be sent in for replacement)
x51v is faster (624mhz vs 200mhz)
x51v supports extended battery (2200mah vs no extended battery for Nevo)
x51v is easier to load NetRemote onto (normal install vs. a bit of a hack)

In favor of the Nevo:
NevoSL has more hard buttons! (20 vs 11)
NevoSL has a more convenient charger (horizontal put-down vs vertical slide in)
NevoSL has automatic power-on (activates when you pick it up vs having to press the power button)

Most important question of all: how will the wife like it?

Even though the x51v's list of advantages is longer, the value of the NevoSL's hard-keys and the auto-on seem like enough to trump it, in my mind. I'll let you know how it works out in practice!

Tim

tmorten
August 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM
UPDATE: Okay, I got my Nevo, and got NetRemote installed on it (hooray!). This is the first time I've tried the WinCE build of NR, and it is a lot more responsive than my last experience running PPC NR on a WinCE device (good work Ben!). The slow processor of the Nevo doesn't seem to be a hinderance at all.

That said, I have one major problem -- The hard buttons don't get recognized by NR. Aargh! Panic!

I note that the normal control panel applet for buttons doesn't exist, so maybe its missing a needed DLL that would have come with a standard WinCE install? Or perhaps it's something on the NR side? Any guidance?

Thanks,
Tim

tmorten
August 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Using Remote Spy++, I can see scan codes when *most* keys are pressed on the Nevo... the four buttons under the screen generate the following codes (from left to right): 0x83, 0x84, 0x85, 0x86. The keyboard button on the left side generates 0x82. The scroll up and down on the right side generate 0x26 and 0x28 respectively, and the 0x0D when pressed in. The scroll codes are actually recognized by NetRemote, so presumably the others can be recognized by NR with a programming fix.

Here's the bad news: None of the volume, channel, or cursor keys seem to be generating window messages that I can see in Spy++. Since there are no Window messages, they may be doing something proprietary under the covers to access these buttons (direct polling for instance). This might make it impossible to use those buttons without inside information on how to get their states. Thoughts?

UPDATE: I found a registry key ay HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\AP_BUTTONS called BTN_DEF that defines the scan codes for the keys. I replaced some of the zero entries with values, power cycled, and checked with Spy++ again. Unfortunately, still no window messages showing up for those keys.

Ben S
August 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Tim -
I wonder what it's doing. You'd think the OS would have to see them, or else it couldn't respond to actions either. So there is no windows message at -all- triggered by pressing those?

Promixis
August 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Ben, Tom, maybe the buttons are implemented a HID device of some sort?

tmorten
August 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM
To answer Ben's question, you're correct that I'm not seeing any window messages at all for those buttons. I even tried using Spy++ to attach to a session of NevoSL.exe running on the remote, and there doesn't seem to be any message traffic for those buttons going on.

I wrote a little applet that uses GetAsyncKeyState to try to detect what's been pressed since the last call, and even that failed to trap any presses of those buttons! Needless to say, I'm starting to suspect that they are doing some kind of direct IO, but I can't see anything suspicious in the registry (no references to HID, though that was a good thought).

Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing... or maybe they went old school... perhaps the buttons generate an IRQ, and perhaps there's a handler that examines some physical address? I'm not set up to attach to ARM process, or else I would try to look at what's going on in NevoSL.eve. Any of you guys have an ARM disassembler set up?

I'd be happy to send you my unit if you've got time to fiddle with it... I've got no use for it without NetRemote! If I can't figure it out, I'll just turn around and sell it on eBay. It's a shame; the form-factor is pretty cool, so I was really excited about it.

- Tim

Promixis
August 25th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Tom, does the IR work on this device?

tmorten
August 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM
There was an error with loading the IR plug-in, so I took it out of the plug-in directory for now. I was planning to use the wi-fi... I think I had the same issue on the WinCE tablet I had, if I remember correctly, so I wonder if it's more a CE issue than a device issue?

I've pretty much given up on the Nevo at this point. I toyed with the idea of getting an ARM disassembler, but it looks like that would be another $450, with all kinds of time required to track down the relevant code, and no guarantee of success.

I e-mailed the UEI folks (manufacturer) in the hope that they might be supportive of running NR on their device, but I'm not going to hold my breath. It seems like it would drive hardware sales for them to support other apps, but they'll proabably be unwilling to risk any conflict of interest with their custom installers. I'll let you know if I get any response...

The upcoming HTC Melody has almost the same number of buttons, and it's sure to be fully compatible with NR. The only downsides there will be the 240x240 screen, the lack of a cool dock like the Nevo has, and paying for features that aren't needed in a remote (GSM/GPRS support, 4gb of flash). Then again, it probably won't cost any more than the Nevo!

Ben S
August 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Hmmm. 240x240 sounds like a bit of a limitation. Soon I'll be undertaking the job of getting NR running on my Motorola Q, which is also 240x240.

It really stinks that the Nevo isn't using the keys like normal keys, as this would really have been the perfect remote.

Sorry Tim.

tmorten
September 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm hoping to get a response from them directly on whether they'd be willing to support NR. One approach would be to see if they're willing to supply hardware for an NR bundle... is that something Promixis would be open to if I get any interest from them?

Promixis
September 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm hoping to get a response from them directly on whether they'd be willing to support NR. One approach would be to see if they're willing to supply hardware for an NR bundle... is that something Promixis would be open to if I get any interest from them?

Tom, we would. We did talk to them > 2 years ago and they were not all that interested. But, times change so lets see what they say to you!

28seven
November 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
has any one gotten this working? i am very interested in using the NEVO with Netremote

tmorten
November 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I gave up; NetRemote runs fine on the Nevo SL, but only the four buttons under the screen are functional; all the custom buttons don't seem to generate a trappable key-press. It's possible that the newer Nevo units have changed this, but I wasn't willing to risk another purchase that might not bear fruit :).

Best,
Tim