View Full Version : Help needed writing Girder plugin!...

November 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Hello everyone -

I, like many here, have an iMon VFD which I'd like to drive from within Girder. I know there isn't a plugin that currently does this, and SoundGraph aren't intending to release one either. They have, however, released the API for driving the VFD.

I am a C# programmer, and find the C++ documentation a little, er, confusing (I'm born-and-bred Windows Forms, not MFC) and was wondering whether there are any tutorials on writing plugins for Girder? I tried a quick Google and didn't return anything useful.

The second question is is it possible to write the plugin in .NET or does it need to be MFC-based? I know how to import COM functions into C#...

Here's hoping someone can help...

November 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM
First the .NET question. Girder is unmanged code, meaning that you can't directly use .NET stuff. Depending on what you need we might have a quick and easy solution. If all you need is injection of Events then the upcoming Girder COM object can handle that for you.

If you need more control you could create a com object in luacom and import that into your app. This is going to be tricky though and we are planning on looking into this in the future. (No date as of yet).

give us the link to the API for the VFD.

As for tutorials for Girder plugins we currently have none, but we do have some example plugins.

Also shoot away with questions.

November 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Wow - quick reply.

I have come to the conclusion that the easiest (and dirtiest) way to achieve the desired effect is to write a small c# app that listens on a TCP/IP socket for data from Girder.

Not exactly a plugin per se, but will at least allow me to pass data from Girder to the app which can drive the VFD.

I assume it's going to be easy enough to find some details on passing data via TCPIP? Will that be through lua?

Fear not - i shall post questions here!!!!!

And the link to the API for the iMon USB VFD is:

I'll get this working one way or another...

November 14th, 2005, 04:35 PM
To pass data through TCP/IP you can use the COM server. (Complex) or use GIPv2 which is a lua extension that allows you to do TCP/IP communications. The next Girder release will include a .lua that demonstrates how to do this. (ievents.lua).

The release is due today.

November 15th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Handy timing then... That's the newest version of Girder 3 I assume?

Rob H
November 15th, 2005, 04:04 AM
No, that will be Girder 4

November 17th, 2005, 12:35 AM
i have to try this out...very cool

i'm really into gadgets and this isvery cool a IR and volume controller and black...sweet
i also like the lcd