PDA

View Full Version : Numerical Volume OSD

SouthyPar
October 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM
UPDATE: just sent an example .GML of this to Ron for the Group Exports page, to save you some time...

Yeah, I know, this is trivial, but I just thought I should mention it here.

It is extremely simple to add numeric display of the current volume in addition to the visual OSD display, even though it isn't currently implemented into Girder.

All you have to do is:
A) Create a multigroup.
B) Place your "Volume Change" action inside your multigroup, and make sure both "OSD" and "register" checkboxes are checked.
C) Add a new command, make it Girder Action "Div Reg Through Val." to divide Reg25 (the reg in which Girder stores the volume value after the volume change) with 655, so as to turn it into a percentile value.
D) Add another command, the "OSD Popup" plugin. Unlike in older 3.1 betas, Simple OSD and Mark's OSD Popup Plugin can now be displayed simultaneously (and on top of each other) in full harmony without crashing Girder. Put the value "[reg25]%" in the OSD Popup, check "Don't use full screen" and play in the "Use custom infromation" frame to place this popup in the suitable place (prefferably right after the word "Volume" in the regular volume OSD).

Make sure the Popup OSD's timeout value is synced with the regular Volume's OSD timeout value (default is 1sec).

There you go! I've noticed that once you have numeric volume display set up it is very convenient to have your volume change actions set to be +-655 (IE, 1% volume change) with an infinitesimal anti-repeat clock, though it is just a suggestion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SouthyPar on 2002-03-27 07:47 ]</font>

dcpesses
February 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM
For some reason (maybe backwards compatibility?) I've found that Reg25 contains the volume info from its last change, not its most recent one. My solution is to add another Volume Change command right after the first one, set to '0' of course. This will update Reg25 to the new value and allow our OSD's to show the current volume. Don't forget to check off the Register box!

D) Add another command, the "OSD Popup" plugin. Unlike in older 3.1 betas, Simple OSD and Mark's OSD Popup Plugin can now be displayed simultaneously (and on top of each other) in full harmony without crashing Girder. Put the value "[reg25]%" in the OSD Popup, check "Don't use full screen" and play in the "Use custom infromation" frame to place this popup in the suitable place (prefferably right after the word "Volume" in the regular volume OSD).

Don't forget that XP OSD can also handle those Reg25 values as well.

On a side note, I've wanted a good, clean volume bar for a while. I don't really like the look of Girder's own volume OSD, and the other plugin I've tried, Volume OSD, doesn't respond very quickly. I'm sure it will be faster if a newer version comes out soon, but for now, mine's set up to only use XP OSD with the text value "Volume [reg25]%".

Mav
May 19th, 2003, 12:26 AM
I took this idea one step further using a Lua script. Ever see on your TV how Volume is displayed with vertical bars? You can do it the same way!

First decide how many bars wide you want your display to be. I made mine 50. Then use the following script:

volPercent = reg25 / 65535
volBars = " "
if volPercent ~= 0 then
for i = 1, floor(volPercent * 50) do
volBars = volBars.."|"
end
end
if volPercent ~= 100 then
for i = 1, (50 - floor(volPercent * 50)) do
volBars = volBars.."."
end
end

Anywhere you see 50, sub in your desired width. The use your favourite OSD to display the value in the variable volBars

The output looks something like this:

I find using XP OSD with Arial as your font works really well, as the pipe charcater (vertical bar) and the period character are the same width. You could also modify it to include the numerical value beside it was well. Something like this:

||||||||||||||||||||||................ 62%

NRX72C
June 25th, 2003, 01:40 AM
does anyone have a gml file of the volume bars working? i cant get i tto work

chros
September 23rd, 2003, 08:03 AM
does anyone have a gml file of the volume bars working? i cant get i tto work

I had the same problem !

So I have rewrite the script, to act like the volume control on TV. :)

I will put up here tomorrow.

Question: how could I upload file to the bbs directory ?

chros
September 24th, 2003, 02:42 AM
So here it is the link (I don't know how to upload to the 'filesbb' dir):

Update 2003.10.31. : The link was removed, see below the new link ...

There's a readme.txt file in the zip.

It completely emulates the TV like volume control.
It uses numerical volume display with volume bar.
You can change the volume with 4% on a bar with 25 scale.
You need 3 buttons on the remote control:
volume up, volume down, mute
If the system is muted you can use all the 3 buttons to unmute !

Enjoy

eruji
September 25th, 2003, 03:17 PM
excellent!

i love the osd volume! one problem, if my volume is at 48% and i press mute, it does work and it displays mute on, when i press mute again (to turn it off) it says 48% but really its 0%, i have to press vol up to increment it back up to 48%.

also, is there anyway to do a button hold so i dont have to keep pressing the button? ive read a few articles but have not seen an actual solution. i have the usb-uirt and a phillips directivo dsr 6000 remote. any suggestions?

chros
September 26th, 2003, 04:55 AM
excellent!

i love the osd volume! one problem, if my volume is at 48% and i press mute, it does work and it displays mute on, when i press mute again (to turn it off) it says 48% but really its 0%, i have to press vol up to increment it back up to 48%.

also, is there anyway to do a button hold so i dont have to keep pressing the button? ive read a few articles but have not seen an actual solution. i have the usb-uirt and a phillips directivo dsr 6000 remote. any suggestions?

Thanx ! :)

Strange: It works fine for me ! The problem could be, when U unmute the reg25 register became 0 . Check this ! F10 button is the Variable window, and then mute-unmute, then the value of the reg25 must be the same during muting !!! (It changes when U use vol+,-).
If it changes, then download again this gml file. (Perhaps U accidently changed something ...)

Try the ButtonMode plugin ... I want to practice with this too, but my UIR IR doesn't recognise my Sony RC buttons when I hold them ... :(

And I'm developing a SleepTimer with WinLUAEx now, it sould be finished at weekend. :)

eruji
September 26th, 2003, 04:44 PM
F10 button is the Variable window,

cool i didnt know that existed.

(Perhaps U accidently changed something ...)

well i did have to change something, i have a m-audio revo and vol up and down were not working, so i went into the volume properties and reset it to my sound card, works, but i had to copy the stepsize variable back into the text box.

ill double check mine against the original, thats probly the problem.

ill check that button mode plugin

THanks!

Kor
October 20th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Strange: It works fine for me ! The problem could be, when U unmute the reg25 register became 0 . Check this ! F10 button is the Variable window, and then mute-unmute, then the value of the reg25 must be the same during muting !!! (It changes when U use vol+,-).
If it changes, then download again this gml file. (Perhaps U accidently changed something ...)

I've the same problem, and i checked the reg25 value with Variable display window. This value is ok and works well, but i still have the problem.
I' sure that i didn't change other values, and i'm searching a solution, but i'm stucked at the moment...

any suggestion?

Kor

Kor
October 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
one problem, if my volume is at 48% and i press mute, it does work and it displays mute on, when i press mute again (to turn it off) it says 48% but really its 0%, i have to press vol up to increment it back up to 48%.

I have the same problem.
I've checked the reg25 value in variable display window and it works well, changing only with volume controls, not with muting.
I've tried too find some difference in the gml from the orgiginal one, but is the same.

I'm trying to solve the problem, but i'm stucked at the moment

Any suggestion?

Kor

chros
October 21st, 2003, 03:57 AM
Well, I have put this *.gml file to my laptop with the same environment like my desktop, and I had encountered some problem too ...

1 is that U should check that the 'Volume Up', 'Volume Down', 'Mute' commands is associated with the real volume device: check under these commands the 'Vulome' button, and U should see that tha master volume is selected .. (On my laptop the SPDIF device was selected.)

And unforunetly there's another bugs in it that I have to resolve, but I don't have much time now, so perhaps a week or two later ...

Sorry
Be patient :)

Kor
October 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM
Thank u, i will check for these things and i'll wait for your next release :-)
Now i will try to solve my problems myself and i will post here the solutions (if reached :-? )

Bye
Kor

Kor
October 24th, 2003, 11:59 AM
The problem was for me that it was selected Volume ID 0 (Mastercontrols/Volume) but is need for this function Volume ID 4 (Mastercontrols/Mute)
Using this config the script working well!!! (i found my solution on the Online Guide, looking around in a best way)

Tnx anyway
Kor

chros
October 31st, 2003, 04:52 AM
I have change the name ...

http://pds.freeweb.hu/downloads/Yet_Another_Volume_Control_v1.2.zip

v1.2
-----
customizable step size and length of bar
customizable captions (multilanguage support :) )
improved documentation in the 6. Installation section
some code improvement

See the included readme.txt file !

Kor
October 31st, 2003, 07:07 AM
Tnx for this release!
I will try this one as soon as possible and i will post a comment!!! :-)
Don't worry i will be good, i think v. 1.0 was wonderful, the next relese will rock!!!

Cya soon
Kor :roll:

doom
November 30th, 2003, 09:35 PM
I have change the name ...

http://pds.freeweb.hu/downloads/Yet_Another_Volume_Control_v1.2.zip

v1.2
-----
customizable step size and length of bar
customizable captions (multilanguage support :) )
improved documentation in the 6. Installation section
some code improvement

See the included readme.txt file !

Well, i followed the instructions on the README.TXT and it works.

But its not perfect.

Do you have a new version?

doom
November 30th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Well, i just wanted to say that i tested the GML posted by Omer Raviv on the Group Exports page (http://www.girder.nl/exportgr.php) and it works perfectly.

I recommend this to those who can live without the numbers. It only shows the horizontal bar.

It does not require the POP UP OSD plugin to work.

Download:
Percentage Volume display (http://www.girder.nl/download.php?Link=277) (April 09 2002)
by Omer Raviv

cipela
December 1st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Well, i just wanted to say that i tested the GML posted by Omer Raviv on the Group Exports page (http://www.girder.nl/exportgr.php) and it works perfectly.

I recommend this to those who can live without the numbers. It only shows the horizontal bar.

It does not require the POP UP OSD plugin to work.

Download:
Percentage Volume display (http://www.girder.nl/download.php?Link=277) (April 09 2002)
by Omer Raviv

what do you mean doesnt need popup OSD plugin? i've downloaded it (gml) and it says Cannot find plugin : Popup OSD ...

doom
December 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
what do you mean doesnt need popup OSD plugin? i've downloaded it (gml) and it says Cannot find plugin : Popup OSD ...

ANOTHER VOLUME CONTROL needs Popup OSD.

PERCENTAGE VOLUME DISPLAY does not need Popup OSD.

chros
December 3rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Well, i followed the instructions on the README.TXT and it works.

But its not perfect.

Do you have a new version?

What is the problem exactly ?
Tomorrow i'll be back to my desktop comp (I have used my laptop for 2 months), and i'll try it on that too ...

calavera-o
March 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
I have a problem with the Yet Another Volume Control.
When the Volume bar is 100% and i push the volume up button,
the volume = 100% (that is ok)
If i push the volume up button again:
the volume = 104% (that is not ok)
again:
108%
When i volume down, the problem appears, too. (-4%. -8%)

I have changed nothing in the "define variables and functions"-command.

calavera-o
March 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Problem solved!
volume up/down:
register: x

chros
March 10th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Problem solved!
volume up/down:
register: x

I'm glad to hear that ... :)
Enjoy !

Stingray
March 10th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Fantastic work, the bar itself looks better when you use a monospace font such as courier new

chros
March 11th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Fantastic work, the bar itself looks better when you use a monospace font such as courier new

Thanx ...
About the "...monoscope font..." : it's included in the readme.txt file ... :)

If you liked it try my other proggy: Yet another Sleep Timer ! It's perfect ! I'm very proud of it ! It's small, fully customisable ...

http://www.girder.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5225

Ripps818
September 24th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Techinically, a 1% change in volume is 655.35. Does anybody know if there is some way to change the volume level in Lua? I want the volume change in perfect 1% increments, but if Iin any decimals into the steps field, girder just refuses to change the volume.

Promixis
September 24th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Yes,

Use the luavolume plugin. Look in the help directory for the pdf file.

Ripps818
September 25th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I don't want to start paying for girder so i still have 3.2. Is it possible to for you to just send me the plugin and use with my version of girder?

Promixis
September 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM
The plugin will only work with 3.3 and above.

Ripps818
September 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Not to sound dumb and annoying, but why? Was it programmed specifically to only work with 3.3, or is there a feature in 3.3 that 3.2 doesn't have?

Promixis
September 25th, 2004, 04:42 PM
The plugin was developed after girder became a commercial product. We are not in business to work for free.

Etmo
September 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I read this tread and tried out this volume things.
:D
It not really worked with my computer, so I wrote my own thing.

It's like in my TV with ........I........ marks. The major different is, that I use the lua volume plugin wich goes exactly from 0 to 100, so not much mathematics necessary.
I know that some code is written three times,wich is not best, but its simple. :-?

I used OSD Popup plugin, i tried also XP OSD but it worked not properly.
If you know how to use XP OSD let me know.

Etmo

ikarus7
January 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
this all sounds good .... is there anyone who can code this for the winamp volume ?

ArheoN
February 3rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
hi,all.
i just wanted to say that i've got girder 3.3 and:
1.Yet_Another_Volume_Control_v1.2 - didnt work for me at all.
the osd showed : vol up: 4%t
that's it.
2.Etmos Simple TV Control - did work,but when i was trying to port it to xp osd (copy variable name to xp osd dislay field) - no info was presented.

question : how can i port it to xp osd? as i understand the [pld1] variable is connected with simple osd only,so what's the variable name for xp osd? looked in script's body,but couldnt identify it.\

thnx.