View Full Version : where to begin with a FireDTV-S???

December 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM
I have been reading about Girder, and realized I would be able to increase the functionality of my FireDTV unit and my HTPC in general, considerably if I were able to use Girder. I just have no idea where to begin. All I believe I really need to be able to do, is get Girder to receive the command from the FireDTV's remote (the unit attatches to the PC via firewire), and turn them into keyboard commands. It doesn't sound so hard, but I just have no idea what plugins I would need to get the input from the firedtv unit into girder... Can anyone help?

December 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM

What is the FireDTV unit? Do you have a link?

December 2nd, 2005, 04:19 AM
Sure, here ya go:

This unit is REALLY cool, and seems to be getting a lot of support lately. Quite a few developers are integrating support into their programs. So far, I have seen Mytheatre, Mediaportal, Meedio, Showshifter, TVcentral, and some Win MCE support. GB-PVR is being worked on from what I can gather from their forums.

I only have experience with Mytheatre, and see some real limitations with their remote when it comes to plugins.. Things like EPGs have issues, as the main focus seems to always be Mytheatre. Their remote functionality doesn't seem to shift when focus is on the plugin for some reason. Not to mention that I might want to do a lot more with the remote than just control one program. Girder seems like it will quadruple to the usefullness of my HTPC, so I am pretty excited about being able to use it.

December 2nd, 2005, 05:07 AM
Neat device. I am not sure you can use that remote with Girder. The best way to do this would be with an IR receiver like the usb uirt or similar with Girder controlling the software of your choice.

December 2nd, 2005, 05:54 AM
Well, I was afraid of that, as it means I won't get this running today.. .. but its no big deal. I wish I knew a little more and could develop support for it. But I haven't done any programing since the Regan/Bush years.. Pascal and Basic were it..

Anyway.. I thank you greatly for your help. it did save me a bunch of time, as I was still looking for non-existant plugins and fragments of ideas on various message boards... they were all dead end leads apparantly.

Just in case it wasn't obvious from the link though.. the remote doesn't change channels in the device, as if the device were a TV tuner.. The device has an IR port, and it passes the info via a small plugin that maps the remote buttons, to MyTheater, or any other program in its configuration (only one at a time).. Currently the ones I listed in my last message. You probably realized that, but I figured it was worth one last attempt.

Somewhere I used to have an old Logitech/AST remote.. I bet that thing would work if I could manage to find it..

thanks again