PDA

View Full Version : Recomment Tuner Card

carfac
December 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi:

I am new to building Media boxes and such, so if I do not have my facts stright, please forgive me- set me straight!

What I want is an HD PVR that is easy to use. It HAS to pass the SPOUSE factor (need I say more?) All I really need is OTA.

I have a slight knowledge of LINUX, but really not much. I prefer working in Windows, despite it's limitations. That said, I am looking strongly at SAGE. So, first, can I get some feedback from you on that?

Second, what TV card? The ones I have seen have S-Video out- hardly what I want on a 55 inch HD! So, do you have any recomendations for an HD tuner card for OTA that works with SAGE and has Component (Red, Green, Blue) or DVI/HDMI out?

Thanks!

Dave

Promixis
December 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Dave,

I have used the ATI HDTV tuner and it works great.

The easiest software I think is going to be Windows MCE. Haven't played with the others.

carfac
December 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Maybe I have a mis conception here...

Are there TWO cards I need- an HD tuner and a display card? ANd the display card would have the DVO out?

Promixis
December 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
There are several variations on this depending on hardware

Mostly, the output comes from your video card. I would get one of the ATI AIW Cards (a recent one). Then get the ATI HDTV tuner. You need to get your TV working with a direct connection to the VGA/DVI output of your video card.