I am a teacher who have lots of problems in evaluating students
individually every day. Searching the web i found a device that solve this
problem (it is called PRS) by means of a receiver a software and remote
controls for the students in order to put multiple response questions to the
It seems to me that UIRT can be programmed to do that, a kind of demon that
listen to the signals of the remote controls of the students. You would ask
why i am trying to do that, the reason is that the PRS is very expensive for
my budget.

It would be very kind of you if you could tell if it is possible to use this device as a kind of a server, perhaps there is alredy a kind of API to do that, take into account that the groups are 50 students, who could concurrently be answering the question.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

December 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM

Can you clarify a little more...

The students are going to respond to questions using some sort of infrared transmitter and you want the usbuirt to receive the responses for you?

What kind of transmitter are the students going to use?

December 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
Mike thanks a lot for your time.

Yes i would like to do what you say that iusb uirt to receive the responses for me.
It seems that the Infrared technology has some kind of problems handling concurrency as you can see it is very easy that more than one student respond at the same time.
My doubt is if i can use UIRT with one of your APIS, or perhaps i will need to program the device from cero.
Regarding the remote i am researching in building one of my own just with 7 keys, you know that multiple choice questions have no more than 5 answers and 2 more keys for True and False questions, i found a kit form Reynolds electronics that will help me in doing that i have alredy ordered it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

December 21st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Girder could handle the responses from the uirt without problem. The IR signals would have to be unique (obviously :) ). The problem is concurrency. I would ask Jon Rheese (www.usbuirt.com) if he can think of a solution.

Other options...

X10 RF receiver (such as the W800RF32) which we support and many X10 palm pad receivers and there are only 256 combinations. Again, concurrency may be a problem :x

X10RF Remote such as the Firefly. Might work well. Would need to have a custom remote but you can have many channels and many buttons.

I can't think of any other technology off hand. Girder should be a pretty easy and cheap result and scoring system to setup.