PDA

View Full Version : Mouse mode

Onenutt
January 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I have a Snapstream Firefly, and it seems if I press the big Firefly button it enables/disables mouse mode. I cannot find where to change this. Also niether of the mouse buttons work on the remote when in mouse mode.

Using 4.01 demo.

Promixis
January 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Hi, I don't have the remote but wasn't aware it had mouse buttons other than a mouse mode button.

You can change the behaviour of the remote using the remote mapping wizard.

quixote
January 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I noticed the same problem with my ATI remote wonder. I'm only using the generic X10 remote definitions, though. Everytiime I hit the 'A' button I get an OSD that toggles 'Mouse Mode'. I'll check out the mapping tonight. Thanks.

Promixis
January 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Thats part of the problem with the x10 drivers. There are many different versions and they all map the buttons differently. So, the default mappings we provide may not work.

Onenutt
January 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM
It has 2 dual use buttons. When you use their software and go into mouse mode, the menu and exit buttons act as mouse buttons.
I'll try out the wizard when I get home, thanks for the quick response.

Hi, I don't have the remote but wasn't aware it had mouse buttons other than a mouse mode button.

Promixis
January 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
It has 2 dual use buttons. When you use their software and go into mouse mode, the menu and exit buttons act as mouse buttons.
I'll try out the wizard when I get home, thanks for the quick response.

Keep me posted ;)

Onenutt
January 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Apparently this will be one of the times I should actually try reading a manual. I did the "add remote wizard" and picked the firefly, I don't get an option to setup what keys should do what. Then everything started to "double click" on me after I tried to do a custom remote. (move down 2 spaces instead of one) Uninstalled and reinstalled to clear that up. Gonna give it another go after I peruse the docs (I have a couple other issues I need to fix as well) so as to not waste anymore time guessing :)

Promixis
January 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Apparently this will be one of the times I should actually try reading a manual. I did the "add remote wizard" and picked the firefly, I don't get an option to setup what keys should do what. Then everything started to "double click" on me after I tried to do a custom remote. (move down 2 spaces instead of one) Uninstalled and reinstalled to clear that up. Gonna give it another go after I peruse the docs (I have a couple other issues I need to fix as well) so as to not waste anymore time guessing :)

Ok, keep us posted and there is anything that we need to change or fix in the manual to make more understandable, let us know.

Onenutt
January 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM
After some poking around, some of the remote keys that are stored in default.xml are incorrect for the firefly ( I assume that Definitions\firefly.xml is actually the cause of this since it appears to be base template) I'm not sure how to remove a remote so I can make the changes in firefly.xml so I will just change the mapping in default.xml. I guess the only real issue I have with the mouse mode is I can't find how to make 2 buttons act as the mouse buttons only when in mouse mode. Is this possible?

Promixis
January 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM
After some poking around, some of the remote keys that are stored in default.xml are incorrect for the firefly ( I assume that Definitions\firefly.xml is actually the cause of this since it appears to be base template) I'm not sure how to remove a remote so I can make the changes in firefly.xml so I will just change the mapping in default.xml. I guess the only real issue I have with the mouse mode is I can't find how to make 2 buttons act as the mouse buttons only when in mouse mode. Is this possible?

do you need both a right and left mouse button? or just left?

Onenutt
January 8th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I would say mainly just a left. If I'm getting to the point of having to use a mouse too much, I will VNC the box.

Promixis
January 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Did you try the OK button. I believe that for that remote in mouse mode, we set the ok button to left mouse click.

glynor
April 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I guess the only real issue I have with the mouse mode is I can't find how to make 2 buttons act as the mouse buttons only when in mouse mode. Is this possible?

Does anyone have this working with the FireFly remote? It works fine if I install and run the FireFly software, but I don't want to (I'd rather program everything through Girder).

I think the problem with using the FireFly software is that Girder can't "block" the actions some of the buttons take (many of them) and replace them with it's own, so I end up double-activating things.

My main issue really is getting the mouse mode to work correctly through Girder. I don't use it much, but I'll need to use it sometimes (and would prefer to have both left and right click).

glynor
April 13th, 2006, 11:54 PM
After playing with it a bit more, I think I figured it out. You can use the MOUSE MODE TOGGLE event to enable/disable groups (which allows you to switch out the functions of the buttons), but you can't use the "down" modifier of the event (the default). I switched it to the "up" modifier (in the Event Editor for the MOUSE MODE TOGGLE event) and it can "see" the event.

So, I have two sets of Enable/Disable actions (to enable/disable groups for those buttons), with each one of the "sets" configured to use a different State and it works great!!

I'm very pleased, as this means I definitely don't need the Firefly software (which I hate). Looking good!

Promixis
April 14th, 2006, 06:39 AM
After playing with it a bit more, I think I figured it out. You can use the MOUSE MODE TOGGLE event to enable/disable groups (which allows you to switch out the functions of the buttons), but you can't use the "down" modifier of the event (the default). I switched it to the "up" modifier (in the Event Editor for the MOUSE MODE TOGGLE event) and it can "see" the event.

So, I have two sets of Enable/Disable actions (to enable/disable groups for those buttons), with each one of the "sets" configured to use a different State and it works great!!

I'm very pleased, as this means I definitely don't need the Firefly software (which I hate). Looking good!

are you doing the mouse movement yourself or using G4's built in mouse handler. ?

KarylFStein
March 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Is there a consensus on how to fix this so I can use the Firefly remote profile and the mouse mode built-in to Girder 4? There are a few buttons I've found on the Firefly remote profile that are not mapped or not mapped correctly. I'd like to fix those, but can't find how to modify the button mappings. Can you only do that if you add a new remote (and not select a Firefly)?

I can provide you all the button details if that would help fix the Firefly remote profile. It's pretty close! The only thing I'm really missing is being able to use Girder's mouse mode (I use the Firefly button to turn on and off the A/V center and pressing the Mouse button on the remote doesn't register ANY events in Girder that I can see).

Ron
March 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
You are correct. You'll have to redo the 'add remote wizard'. And by the sound of that you already did do that. If you want to switch in and out of mouse mode you can use any button on the remote to do that. Simply go to the mapping editor and create a mapping for the button you'd like to use as the toggle.

Sadly sometimes some buttons on remotes don't actually send a IR signal, they toggle something internal to the remote. Maybe when you hit that button the mouse buttons send a different event to Girder did you check that?

KarylFStein
March 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I dug into this a little more and found that an X10 event WAS being sent when pressing the Mouse button, but not a Snapstream Firefly event. (I was just watching the Firefly events in the logs.) I went through all the buttons on the Firefly and found the following incorrect items:

ENT - Only send X10 MTAB event; no Firefly event
Firefly - MOUSE MODE TOGGLE
INFO - Only sends X10 MTRadio event; no Firefly event
OPTION - TAB
OK - ENTER
Music - WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER
Photos - Only sends X10 Web event; no Firefly event
DVD - POWERDVD
TV - WINAMP
Video - Only sends X10 MTRadio event; no Firefly event
Help - Only sends X10 B event; no Firefly event
Mouse - Only sends X10 MTVCR event; no Firefly event

Since there is a built-in Snapstream Firefly profile, why can't these fixes put into that instead of forcing me to create a whole new remote mapping? I mean, that makes having the Firefly profile worthless. Is there some way that I can fix these mappings, or is that built in to a DLL or something that I can't access? I'm a little concerned that messing with adding a new remote will screw up all the work I put into making the Beyond TV, Beyond Media, at al configurations (two nights of work so far). I really don't want to have to create my own "mouse mode" configuration since it is built in to Girder!

Please help me fix the remote mappings!

Ron
March 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Go into the mapping editor and assign the button you'd like to the "MOUSE MODE TOGGLE EVENT".

KarylFStein
March 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yay! That is exactly what I wanted, thanks!

You know, I read about the mapping in the documentation, but couldn't find it. But, that was after several hours of trying to get all the Beyond Media stuff working. That's still a work in progress :( .

Ron
March 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry the documentation isn't clear on that. I'll let the doc write know.