PDA

View Full Version : Serial port spy software - extract codes from applications!

Vinny Singh
January 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Well, the lua script worked well enough for power and standby functions, but not other buttons, they were very slow if used via girder. Buttons like contrast and brightness worked only every 2+ seconds.

If I used my projectors windows software control, the buttons were as fast as my real remote. I wanted to see what the difference was between what the marquee software was sending, and what girder was sending via RS232/serial port.

I found this great piece of software that is free to try for 14 days (fully functional). That should give enough time to decipher pretty much anything you might have proprietary control for, with undocumented serial commands, so you can apply them to your girder scripts.

http://www.eltima.com/products/#serial-port-monitor

Run the software by itself, THEN girder or other application you want to check com port data from and to. If you choose the right settings, and then choose "table" view, it will give you a log by time of every event that it sees. I was able to bring girders timing very close to the native control application, and now can use my remote to change contrast, brightness, and pic/convergence menus very easily, almost as good as the real remote.

I wished I knew how to "reset" the port, because occaisionally it seems to lock up if it misses an init command before the actual command. The native program seems to set something high and then low then a 04 00 00 00, wait's a millisecond, then sends a bunch of 00 00 00, and is ready for next command. I don't know how to make girder do that, so it just sends and sends in sequence.

Anyway, great port sniffing software for old school RS-232 communication. I've got 3 more buttons to program, and they are all IR, so wish me luck!

PS: Not affiliated in any way with eltima. Just found the site after searching for how to make a dual headed spy cable for serial sniffing through hyperterminal or some other comm software.

Rob H
January 8th, 2006, 04:26 AM
There is also Portmon from www.sysinternals.com which is the same sort of thing but has the advantage that it's free :)

Vinny Singh
January 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Awesome! I use some sysinternals stuff for my job, but didn't bother checking for serial utilities.