PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help

Robertsonland
January 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I'm pretty new to the HTPC scene and need some advice. My current setup is using Zoomplayer, MyHD (via MyIRC) and that's pretty much it for the moment. I was hoping to control the HTPC via my Pronto TS1000 remote. I was planning to learn the codes for the MyHD Remote into the Pronto and the just use the pronto exclusively. However after reading a ton of messages tonight it looks like the MyIRC receiver isn't quite gonna work for everything I want to do now, much less down the road. I saw from a bunch of posts that irMan has conflicts with the MyIRC reciever (I couldn't tell if that was only the serial port connection or the USB one as well as I have the USB connection). Eventually I'll want to control music and other stuff from here but I need to get the Pronto running things soon to help that WAF get back into line with where it should be. If I want to run the MyIRC to control the MyHD MDP-130 what IR receiver (trying to stay as cheap as possible here, but also need to get it done soon) should I run to caputure the pronto codes for Zoomplayer to do what I need it to do? I saw the list of remotes on the girder page and I think Fry's sells one of them and I have a local Fry's here but will that Receiver transfer all IR codes regardless to the PC or only those that are for itself? Is there a way to get the MyIRC USB receiver to work at least for now with Girder?

Thanks all in advance for any help.

Lance

Promixis
January 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Lance, the usbuirt is great but $$. For less $$ look at the streamzap receiver (can use with other remotes) or an MCE receiver.

Robertsonland
January 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks Mike.

I ordered the USB UIRT. After reading some other posts of using it for the macros instead of my pronto I like that idea. I hope his expected ship date of Jan 10 is good as then I hopefully should have it within a week and a half from now.

Thanks,

Lance

Robertsonland
January 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Mike,

One other question. Is the IR Receiver that comes with the MyHD (MyIRC) card useable at all for relaying IR commands to girder? I'd really like to get started using girder to see if it's going to work for me but I know i'ts gonna take a bit of time to get that USB-UIRT out to me. Thanks,

Lance

Promixis
January 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Mike,

One other question. Is the IR Receiver that comes with the MyHD (MyIRC) card useable at all for relaying IR commands to girder? I'd really like to get started using girder to see if it's going to work for me but I know i'ts gonna take a bit of time to get that USB-UIRT out to me. Thanks,

Lance

AFAIK, there is a plugin that was written for g3.3 but will work with G4. I do not have the hardware to confirm this.

Robertsonland
January 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks,

The only plugin I found that mentioned MyHD was the DVDSpy plugin. The description of the plugin didn't seem like that was what it was for. I'll browse all the plugins to see if I can find one that seems like it might be right.

Thanks for the info.

Lance

Robertsonland
January 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Ok, I've finally gotten my USB-UIRT plugged in but I think there is something I'm not getting. I'm using a TS1000 Pronto remote and want to control Zoomplayer (among others but just zoomplayer for now) Obviously ZP doesn't come with a "remote control" so there are no IR codes for me to send from my pronto to the PC for Girder to interpret and do commands with. How do I get unique events to happen so that in Girder it knows what I'm telling it to do? Do I have to somehow create my own IR codes or something? I've read the docs and I think I'm just missing something that I should be seeing.

Thanks,

Lance

blubberhoofd
January 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Hi,

The pronto remotes are basically a universal remotes.
Universal remotes are usually supplied with a list of preprogrammed IRcodes for a huge amount of devices, so you need to select one of those devices from the list and program your remote to use this preset.

I would reccomend to select a combi-device from the list, a TV-VCR combo to be more clear, so almost all buttons on your universal remote have a IR-code assosiated with it. :wink:

Once this is done you can begin setting up your usb-uirt, which can reveive IRcodes from almost all consumer IR remotes.

I have no experience with the usb-uirt device or it's plugins, so someone else needs to step in from here.

hope this helps :wink:

Rob H
January 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
The TS1000 doesn't however have any built in codes (discounting the RC5 codes), it's purely a learning remote. The simplest thing is to download one of the CCFs from www.remotecentral.com for a device you don't own and use that.

Robertsonland
January 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys,

This is what I was thinking i was going to need to do. I have an old DVD player (Toshiba) that died on me and it's still in my CCF so I can use some of those codes to control Zoomplayer the way I need to. Thanks for the information clarification.

Lance