PDA

View Full Version : I am here to BEG for this feature (for Play WAV)

quixote
January 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Ron, It would be awesome if you could implement the AUDIO PICKER for the PLAY WAV action. I'm having a hard time setting up this intercom / doorbell answering machine idea that I have. I'd also like to be able to send a wave to a specific speaker for certain projects. For instance, I'm going to set it up so that when I open the door at the top of the stairs within certain hours and on certain days, it will tell me the weather conditions and forcast, or upon returning tell me how many phone calls I missed.

The problem is that I have two speakers (left and right channels) from a dedicated sound card set up at my front door; one inside and one outside. The one outside is to send sounds to confirm that my alarm is set, and for an intercom that I'm brainstorming. The one inside is for the other things that I mentioned. The problem is I don't necessarily want the people that are passing by to hear my computer announcing the weather or how many phone calls I missed, so I need to play WAVs over the right or left speaker. Also, I don't want to switch my main audio device because if I happen to be listening to music when someone arrives home, I don't want to interupt my music and have it playing outside.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement the audio picker into the play wav action! It would be a really cool feature and would solve all of my problems in these projects. I'm begging you!
:) Thanks for thinking about it.

Promixis
January 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Whats the audio picker?

quixote
January 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM
from the help file:

"The Audio Picker selects an audio control to be the target of an action. Actions which target an audio control have a button which brings up this dialog. "

It's mostly for volume and balance control, unfortunately. It would be perfect for selecting where to send a WAV file, though.

Promixis
January 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
why not just set the audio prior to the playwav using a macro?

quixote
January 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Well, I thought of that, but then if I'm listening to music, playing a game or watching a movie the audio will switch to the external speaker or the speaker in the stairwell when one of those events fires. I don't think that would be a useable solution.

Promixis
January 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
how does add the audio picker to the play function solve that problem?

quixote
January 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Well, if it could target that device just for that wav, then I assume my other sound devices would be unaffected. Birty came close with his mediaplayer plugin, I think, but I could never get it to work on only one of the speakers. At one point I had two instances of Winamp set up to play different wavs/mp3s at the same time with no interference.

birty
January 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
finally got round to updating my plugin, give it another go, see if it works with some different options

quixote
January 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Nice! Thanks! I'll give it a try.

ok, I'm getting an error when I enable the plugin in the CTOSD script. The logger doesn't give me enough time to read what the problem is in the mouse over dialogue before disappearing, but it's something to do with not being able to find OSD (in line 1) in the path that the script is in.

birty
January 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM
just delete the first line in ctosd.lua

quixote
January 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
OK, deleteing the first line did the trick. I don't see the new features that you were talking about. I still can't change the balance. What would you suggest? Thanks.

birty
January 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM
there should be 2 new lua functions in the ctmedia table, see http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=137247#137247 for details

quixote
January 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
No, I still can't pan all the way left or right.
:-?

birty
January 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
did you try all of the combinations of harware and software and different drivers?

quixote
January 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Yes.

birty
January 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM
then i dont think there is any more i can do

birty
January 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
i thought that panning wasnt working for you at all, do you mean it does work but if you pan to the right the left is not completely silent?

quixote
January 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
i thought that panning wasnt working for you at all, do you mean it does work but if you pan to the right the left is not completely silent?

No, sorry. I wasn't clear. I cannot pan at all. I am trying to pan to the extreme right and left so that the difference is immediately apparent to me. It is always playing the wav on my center speaker (I have the sound playing over my stereo). All other tests that I do with other software (ie. - Winamp) gives me full stereo.

quixote
January 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM
how does add the audio picker to the play function solve that problem?

Is that a "no", then?

Promixis
January 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
for now, yes :(

quixote
January 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM
:x

j/k
do you know if there is a possiblity in the near future, or am I living with false hope?
:)

Promixis
January 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM
not in the near future. we just have too many other things on our plate right now

blubberhoofd
January 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hi,

Quixote, couldn't you create two stereo sound files one left channel only and the other right channel only?

that way you don't actually need balance control.

quixote
January 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
That sounds plausable. I was sort of thinking of using a quick record/relay setup for an intercom system, though. I would create a temporary wav file that would play over that device and then be deleted. I guess I have to use a workaround. Thanks for the suggestion. It's a great way of getting around that limitation.

blubberhoofd
January 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi,

speaking of quick and dirty workarounds...

make two copies of MediaPlayerClassic in different folders, set property save settings to ini file.

select the desired output device: menu\playback\output
for one change balance to left and the other to the right options menu\playback

both players now keep their settings and can even be used at the same time

trigger wav via lua::
local Quote = "\""
local Application = "C:\\Program Files\\Media Player Classic L\\mplayerc.exe"
local Parameter = "/play"
local File = "G:\\test.wav"
local command = (Quote..Quote..Application..Quote.." "..Quote..File..Quote.." "..Parameter..Quote)

print (command)

os.execute(command)

Hope this helps :wink:

quixote
January 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey, thanks man! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. (It's getting late here)

quixote
January 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
:)