PDA

View Full Version : Firefly events .... are a huge MESS - why ?

AlCapone
January 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
button = eventstring:
------------------
prev=input
next=zoom
music=book
photos=web
video=hand
help=b
mouse=MTVCR
vol up =vol down
vol down=vol up

and so on ...
the stings that pops up are totally wrong, non-intiutive, and very WRONG

why - and how to fix ?

blubberhoofd
January 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,

Sounds to me like the wrong profile is used/included with Girder 4 for your firefly remote.

I assume you can still use this profile although it isn't intuative and edit the profile, so it would be better looking.

correct me if I'm wrong :wink:

AlCapone
January 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
i deleted the mess from "event mapping"
- the problem remains..
so I do not know where to fix it.

BTW: editing text in "event mapping editor" did not help...

Ron
January 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Delete all the mapping from the mapping editor.

Go to the add remote wizard.

Add a 'new' remote, (not the predefined one). Then start teaching Girder about your remote. After this you'll see 4 events for each button press.

2 Original (Down and Up)
2 Mapped Events (Down and Up)

That is how it should be, if you don't want to see the original events in the logger you can turn them off in the settings dialog.

AlCapone
January 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM
thank you.

what about "repeat" action ? - should't it be "three actions per button" ?

what is "good practice:"
should I remap every action ? (or only the ones that are mislabeled ?)

Ron
January 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Ah yes there is the repeat as well if you hold the button to long. :-)

Good practise is remapping as many buttons on your remote as will fit in the predefined messages. The other buttons you can use the 'raw'/'unmapped' events.

AlCapone
January 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
thank you.

AlCapone
January 16th, 2006, 11:09 AM
whan I mapped "MTTV" to the proper label "maximize" - and push button: Girder Logs /shows in the statusbar:

MTTV (down)
Maximize (down)
MTTV (up)
Maximize (up)

is there a way to hide the "stupid" - meaningless "MTTV" event ?

Ron
January 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
yeah, settings, logger. Uncheck the firefly events.

AlCapone
January 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
ok, let me rephrase :
:)
the statusbar is showing "bad" strings after a buttonpress - Girder does not open the action it performs, so it would be nice to see real events..

and: BTW: I can choose event from a droplist - how can I make my own name that is not alredy in the list ?

Leaf
January 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi Al,

I'm having problems with firefly also. With (include remote in id string) checked Girder doesn't see the firefly If I use learn it detects a generic 10x remote. This is fine for me I just relearn each button press..I guess thats called remapping? It's very confusing though if you just want to use the dropdown menu since most of those are incorrectly named for the firefly IE Volume Up button shows up as Volume down in the dropdown window and when the button push is learned.

It would be nice if we could rename those.

I think that without the id string thing checked girder will see the firefly as a firefly but the drop down button names are different from the drop down names in older girder plug in.

FYI I had some troubles on a fresh install.
Do not use the new driver for x10 with firefly if you use com ports. After installing it Firefly worked fine but none of my regular com ports were available IE MyBlaster serial and serial connection to denon AV2805. Had to uncheck generic serial, usbuirt and generic x10 close girder, disable x10 in services, Uninstall Myblaster and usbuirt, reboot. Reinstall usbuirt, firefly ( using drivers only from SS)and Myblster.. Go back into girder settings check usbuirt, generic serial. Go to novice and install firefly remote.

All of the above could just be me and my goofy way of installing stuff but I recall the x10 drivers having this issue in the past.

Before doing the above when I pressed the DVD key PowerDVD would pop up very odd since my DVD button doesn't call Powerdvd Looking in the logger showed girder seeing a task switch, task create for PowerDVD. It Looked like I had the full Firefly prog installed Most Odd.

Leaf

Leaf
January 18th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Just so,

I ended up having to add a wait for powerdvd and close PDVD commands to get rid or PDVD popping up.. well of it staying up anyway.

I'd still like to know how it's calling PowerDVD in the first place?

Leaf

I'm only bumping this so i can get my sys all set for a ghost image.

Ron
January 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM
You probably assigned the POWER DVD event in a mapping check that.

KarylFStein
March 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm having the same problem with the DVD button. As soon as I push it, I get a TaskCreate message in the logs and PowerDVD loads. I don't have the key mapped to any event. When I did create an action, both PowerDVD and the one I defined loaded. The action I defined had the little wrench showing what it had matched in the logs. You don't get a wrench for the PowerDVD launch, though, just the TaskCreate entry.

I even went in to the remote mappings and removed the DVD button. However, that did not change anything.

Help! I don't want PowerDVD to load!

Promixis
March 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
do you have the FF software loaded - ie does it start if G isn't running?

KarylFStein
March 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Oh, my, it does start PowerDVD even if I stop Girder. I installed the "driver only" Firefly software and not the full-blown package with the profiles, so I'm not sure what's capturing that button press.

The only FF item in my Start menu is "Firefly mini" which looks like it controls the Firefly button. I do not have that active and in fact use Girder to turn on and off the TV and receiver when I press the Firefly button. I do have Beyond Media installed, but the full version--I never installed Beyond Media Basic.

I guess the question I have is if PowerDVD does something to capture the DVD event, or if something in the Firefly driver, (for which I see no way to access any configuration screens), is doing this. Nothing else bypasses Girder--just the DVD button! That's why I suspect PowerDVD.

OK, a quick search gives the answer:

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-26298.html

It IS PowerDVD and some service it installs. That's annoying. Anyway, it's not a Girder issue. Killing that service solved my problem. Let's hope it doesn't cause some other weird issue!