PDA

View Full Version : IR control of distribution amp

Bob Perego
February 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I had the impression from various posts that I could control a distribution amp by a PC connected IR blaster like a USR-UIRT which via Girder I could control from a Pocket PC. However, the dist. amps I'm finding on the web rely on the remote IRing to individual keypads connected to the dist. amp.

Was my first impression wrong or am I not finding the right distribution amp?

Thanks, Bob

Promixis
February 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Bob,

What products are you looking at? Link?

Bob Perego
February 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM
ChannelPlus MDS-6A and Channelvision A4601 use keypads cat5'ed to the amp but the only IR seems to be to the keypad in a given location. Xantech (http://www.xantech.com/mrc88/controller.htm) also uses keypads but has a serial port that appears to allow controlling the unit.

Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking about controlling the distribution amp with IR instead of a direct PC connection? From my reading about Girder it appears that if a distribution amp comes with software for controlling via a serial or USB port then I can have Girder run the Dist. amp software and in turn trigger girder from a PDA. Am i connecting the dots correctly?

Thanks, Bob

Rob H
February 10th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Providing you can get at the documentation for the serial protocol then it's usually better to bypass the supplied software and let Girder control the hardware directly.

I just had a look at the Xantech protocol (it's in the installation manual) and it looks pretty straightforward.