PDA

View Full Version : Power-up with IRA-3 and no Wake on LAN (WOL) mobo connector

tj81
March 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
First off, I'm a newbie, so bear with me. Also, mods feel free to move this thread to the correct forum. Now, could someone with an IRA-3 (or relevant knowledge/experience), please give a not-too-technically-minded person like myself, clear, detailed and explicit instructions on how I can connect an IRA-3 (OEM) to a motherboard without WOL or WOM headers, in a way which will allow me to power up the PC using a universal remote. The motherboard in question is an ASUS A8V deluxe Rev 2.0 which supports WOL/WOR by pme. I suspect that a solution which has been found for any other WOL-less/WOM-less ASUS board should also be applicable to me. I know there must be other people who have found a solution to a similar problem and I suspect there may have been more relevant posts when there was a IRA-TIRA forum here. Searching the forum, i've found references to shorting the appropiate power supply lead to ground and also to reading the relevant UIRT2 docs. I need for some one to please give me more detailed instructions, which are more specific to the IRA-3. For instance, the solution for UIRT2 involves shorting the + power lead to "output 4" (ULN pin#16), which I take to be ground. What is the equivalent procedure for IRA-3? What are the recommended connections to IRA's 3-pin WOL connector, particularly the 'wakeup' signal pin? What can be used to derive a similar/equivalent signal to the wakeup signal? Is there a way to achieve all this and still be able to use the pc's power button as normal? How do I determine which power header is + or ground? I am not inclined to go down the route of IR keyboard/learning remote (more expense). Can an IR keyboard be used with a regular universal remote? Last 2 questions, what 'code' do I enter into the universal remote to get it to work with IRA? Does it just work on any protocol? I have received no response from HomeElectronics to any of my queries. Thanks in advance for any help.
tj81