PDA

View Full Version : Waking and invoking Girder

rbmcgee
April 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I know I should be moving to 4.0 but am still fiddlin' with 3. Here's my question:

When the computer wakes up (either from hibernation or standby) I want Girder to automatically execute some commands, ie, OnResumeSuspend, OnResumeStandby. When the computer wakes up, everything is fine except girder does not execute the commands until the computer receives some external stimulus, such as a mouse move.

It's as if girder has woken but is not yet aware of itself and a mouse move snaps it to attention whereas girder will execute the OnResume commands. Whats odd is that on newer computers, girder acts as it should (automatically executing the command).

I've even tried to place a mouse move as the first command in a multigroup to see if girder could wake itself up, but alas, girder just sits there until I even slightly move the mouse.

Is there something I missing?

TIA

Promixis
April 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
so you see the events in the logger - so you girder is getting them, but it isn't doing anything until you move the mouse?

rbmcgee
April 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Girder is not getting any events until the PC experiences an external stimulus, such as a mouse move.

I understand that this may be related to the PC and not girder but thought maybe someone could offer an idea.

Note: the PC will perform properly is woken up by WinTV (record a show), PC wakes up, WinTV opens, records show, closes after complete, PC goes back to sleep. Therefore, it's not the entire PC that is in a semi-sleep state, simply girder.

Promixis
April 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
hm, very strange.... I don't have any suggestions :(

rbmcgee
April 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Mike, there is really no practical way for me to look at the logger. As soon as I move the mouse (even a little), girder executes the OnResume commands immediately.

At that point, obviously the commands will be in the logger. The question is, before I check (move mouse) are the commands in the logger. No idea.

Promixis
April 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Mike, there is really no practical way for me to look at the logger. As soon as I move the mouse (even a little), girder executes the OnResume commands immediately.

At that point, obviously the commands will be in the logger. The question is, before I check (move mouse) are the commands in the logger. No idea.
I don't think it matters... this sounds like a problem external to girder

rbmcgee
April 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Perhaps someone else who has experienced this situation will notice this thread.

mski
April 28th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I am having exactly the same problem.

My PC is woken up by a windows scheduled task but does not execute the Onresume commands until I move the mouse.

I'm afraid I can't offer a solution at the moment, just to add that my PC uses TV-output as its main output, and also JaLCDs which I use to drive my VFD does not seem to wake up either until I move the mouse and then it sparks into life.
Maybe it is something to do with the way the PC is woken up?
How does the wakuep get initiated on your PC - scheduled task, remote control with USB-UIRT?
Also, when I wake my PC up with USB-UIRT remote control it all wakes up correctly and runs the Onresume commands as expected.

rbmcgee
April 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hi mski,

I don't use a USB-UIRT on this machine, but I suffer the problem regardless of how I wake the PC (WOL, keyboard, powerbutton).

jmv
August 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Folks exactly the same problem here...any kind of stimulus (key board click, mouse move, etc...) and bang girder jumps to attention and executes all the "on resume" stuff...but until then, it just sits silently...still thinking it is asleep...I can hear the apps talking to themselves...shhh don't let girder know were awake or it'll make us to all kinds of work...

seriously frustrating situation...any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem...